Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe has generated errors and will be closed by.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfbobbo

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
US
I have recently experienced the errors indicated in subj. line. Installing a new at t global dialer i get the svchost error. When trying to make a new connection, i get the icwconn1 error. And when trying to open the modems or network icons in control panel i get the following error msg. an error occurred with windows was working with the control panel file C:\winnt\system32\telephon.cpl. I don't know whats going on nor does my helpless desk. Any enlightening clues or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

thanks

bob

Have you installed SP2? Also an svchost error could mean possible dll corruption.
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. There can be multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

You can try the SP2. First try this. Go to the command promt (cmd) and type the following:
sfc /scanonce
Then reboot (You wil need your windows 2000 CD). If that does not find any thing wrong or does not fix it then try SP2. If that still causes issues then a reload may be in order. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

I used the scanonce command and now my computer is going crazy. Hoe do I reinstall the file protection that the scanonce command took out-HELLPPP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back