Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

svchost.exe causing 99% util

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc123

IS-IT--Management
Feb 13, 2002
US
For some reason the svchost.exe instance run by the User in WinXP Pro is causing constant 99% util on the proc and therefore makes using the PC very, very troubling. Ending the task does not cause any problems (seemingly) and resolves the issue. Is there any way to stop svchost.exe from running automatically or simply figure out why it's causing 99% util on the proc? I've read the MS article on svhost.exe that shows you how find find what it's running, but they all seem to be legit...nothing stands out as being innapropriate.
Thanks!
-Scott

Are you using MS Office handwritting and other various tools? This was the same symptom that was happening to me. If that doesn't help and you see no negative side effects by stopping it, disable the service and look through the msconfig to see if it's in there anywhere.

Not using any MS Handwriting/Voice Recognition/etc. It's not in the Services, but I didn't check the boot files in msconfig. I doubt they'll be there since it loads as a user service as well as a system service. Thanks for your input!

"I've read the MS article on svhost.exe that shows you how find find what it's running, but they all seem to be legit...nothing stands out as being innapropriate."

You haven't said what is running or is "legit" but you could try removing these one at a time to see if any of these "legit" things are your problem.

I ran into this issue not long ago... found it was caused by a defective modem, replaced the modem and svchost was back to normal

see my numerous comments in the symantec and win Xp forums -
Mine was due to a problem cause by McAfee Internet security - I have switched to Norton 2003 and the problem is solved!!!

This looks like one of "those" issues that could be caused by just about anything. Can anyone tell me exactly how they were able to determine what the problem was, or just how you determined -exactly- what proccesses svchost.exe was running?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back