Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SV9100 Time Changing 1 Hour Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

phone_troll

Programmer
Mar 13, 2017
US
Howdy!

I have a weird 1 -- the time keeps changing 1 hour early on my SV9100. I updated to 7.0 and it still persists. I just updated to 7.0 and it was 7PM on reboot. 10 minutes later, it was 6PM.

DST was messed up earlier today, so I adjusted that to mirror my other sites; the problem remains. I just disabled DST outright and will check back to see if that helps.

None of my other sites have this issue and I'm running about 10 different 9100's. My time settings look the same as the other sites. I waited until after hours in case someone on-site was playing with me due to a possible COS access "issue." Nope...still changing on it's own.

Any ideas?

Thanks belevedere. My time zone is correct -- set to PST and set the same as my other switches. I ended up "fixing" it by killing the DST sync address in 90-56, but that means I'll need to manually change it instead of using DST. I thought the time zone was also the culprit, but this is weird. Both DST IP addresses point to the same address. Any other ideas?

There are many NTP server addresses that you can point to. I have seen NTP time servers that used to work no longer work. You might try finding another NTP address to use and try it.

The NTP server I'm using is working across all the other sites and is what I believe is causing the time to continually change. But I'll look into this some more.

Thanks

Obvious question, is the system up to the latest software level?

Yes sir -- was at 6 and updated to 7 last night. Same issue. And now it's the only system I have at 7. But I usually look for excuses to update them.

In 10-12-04 make sure you are set for Pacific Time, - in 10-24-01 uncheck to disable daylight savings and in 90-56 put back NTP synchronzation and server IP address. System will check with the server every hour and update the time.

Is the 9100 Netlinked? If it is check 51-02-02 & 51-02-03 Determines the offset applied to the time on the primary 9100

Levi -- Negative on the NetLink.

3racefan3 -- WHAT UP!!! Unfortunately, no luck on the tip, but I appreciate your time. This switch is set to PST in 10-12-04; I've triple checked. I hadn't thought to disable DST and put back the NTP sync; so I tried this. The time sync'd an hour behind again. This change happened within minutes, so I don't think the system checks every hour. Unless it's also set to check as soon as the NTP sync is enabled?

This is probably not the cause of my woes, but a difference I noticed between my switches is that the IPL NIC is configured instead of the CPU NIC. I have my 9100's set as either or, without issues, though. So this is probably a useless piece of info, but I wanted to share a difference I noticed. I may try to reconfigure the NIC's on this particular switch to see if there is any change, but I don't expect anything special to happen. We do not have IP phones at this location.

I'm at the point of either adding this switch to my list of manual time changes as the time I have invested isn't really worth the actual impact and the 2 seconds it'll take to adjust the time in the future.

Anyone have a server I can try? I am using across 10.2.4.254 all of my 9100s.

Is there any other NTP server running on the network? My suspicion would be that there is another NTP server on the LAN broadcasting updates and the NEC system is listening to those updates. An NTP server doesn't necessarily have to be contacted by a client to request a time update. The NTP server can be setup to broadcast time updates. If there is another NTP server (anything from a Windows Server to a DVR sending time updates to IP cameras) on the same LAN and it is broadcasting time updates, the NEC system will listen to those updates. This sounds a lot like what you are experiencing.

All 15 of my 9100s point to the NTP server and are on the same network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back