Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SV9100 New Install Best Practices

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLCNJ

Technical User
Sep 18, 2019
US
I'm a bit new, only doing this for a week.

I'm looking for best practices, what everyone should do a new SV9100. While looking through settings, I found things like Installation Date, System Name, etc. Also, I'm assuming it would be a very good idea to change all default passwords. Is there a list somewhere of what should get done on most systems?

Thanks!

Installation Date, System Name - this is just for information only. It has no affect on operation.
What you are asking for is far too much to list here. NEC's defaults are not necessarily what most users would like. Things like class of service features allowed or denied, Multiline terminal ring tones and voice VS. ring for ICM calls, etc.
Be careful changing log-ins and passwords. If you forget them you may have to factory default the system.
Make a back up before and after changing them. The biggest issue with this system is knowing what kind of licenses you need and how many. Get yourself a features and spec. manual. It shows you how to program up a feature, limitations and how to use it.

Thanks for the response!

I'm sure the list is long. If you were to mention one thing you did on every system, what would it be?

Change and record the default manufacturer log in and password. It's published in the programming manual and everyone knows it.

Thanks again.

Any idea where I could find this info? NEC Training felt a little incomplete.

If you have access to NEC training, then you have access to all of the manuals. Look in the programming manual for log in information. Password info is in MB 90-02.

I was actually referring not to passwords, but all the other info. I feel like I have the job of assembling an entire car from parts, and I have detailed manuals on every part, and a few training videos that show how to install the seat belt and windshield, but nothing else. I could probably figure out any one detail, and I could probably even assemble that car from scratch, but not very efficiently. I'm looking for how it's supposed to be done.

That's not an easy question to answer, since these systems are fully customizable. Install the cards, on an initial power up it will recognize them and apply a default database. Trunk keys on the first 8 (I believe), all trunks ring all phones. If it sees an InMail chip, it will assign the VM. Extension numbers assigned, etc. From there it's all up to you and your customer as to what needs to be modified. Every installer has their preferred way of initial set up. I usually look at an existing system and how it's being used. Then try to set the new system up the same way. Then modify from there. I do not have a document outlining specifics. Maybe someone else here does. If you post here what you want to do, then you will get some specific programming steps.

First steps are upgrade the firmware to the latest (the new box could have been in a warehouse for months) and second step is load the customer licences. From there it depends on what the config is and what the customer requires. For example, how many lines are equipped and how many are to be used (adjust the trunk groups accordingly) assign extension names if they are being used, assign the keys on the phones, set up any night modes and voicemail boxes needed (I always use a group mailbox for the night mailbox as they are not licence dependant). One thing I am a stickler for is labeling of phones, I carry my own portable printer and guillotine to create label strips as I know they will come out right (all printers have their own layouts that vary slightly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back