Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SV8300 PZ-VM21 and Cabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEAXMAN

Technical User
May 21, 2014
US
Two quick questions on the SV8300:

1) Can the PZ-VM21 be used for voicemail on the SV8300? The hardware manual states "In the SV8300, the PZ-VM21 can only provide an optional modem ability for remote maintenance functions.", but in the CompactFlash Voice Mail Specifications it says "UNIVERGE SV8100/8300 VM8000 InMail 8/4/2-port License". Can someone clarify if this card can be used or only UM8000.

2) What is the best way to go from the RJ61 outputs on the chassis to a network patch panel. Everything was wired and ready for a switch, not traditional telephone connections.

Thank you!

No, InMail on the SV8300. Has to be the UM8000.
The cabling is an 8 pin jack. The inside pair is the first port. Then the next two outside of that is the second port. The 4th port is the two outside wires in the jack. Punch down to the WH/BL pair on the patch panel.

Hey Neaxman... Did you ever get anywhere with the shoretel director??

Belevedere, thanks for the reply. Sorry it took a while to come back to this. I have been extremely busy lately but I didn't forget about this thread. I figured that the PZ-VM21 wouldn't work. I did successfully wire the RJ61 to a patch panel and the digital phones came up. Very happy about that. Now, this is probably an illegal question to ask but I'll ask it anyway. I am trying to test out SIP trunk configurations, but my system that I bought for my lab at home doesn't have any SIP Trunk licenses. Will I still be able to register and test SIP Trunking without SIP trunk licenses? I'm guessing probably not, but I figured it's worth a shot.

Scottb8888, no, I never did get a Shoretel system. The architecure is different and I didn't have much reason to learn the system. I mainly now focus on Cisco because I am a Cisco Academy student, and NEC, which is the system that my school has and I like learning it.

Thanks again and sorry for the long wait.

No license, no work. Unfortunately the 8300 does not have a temporary license option like the 8100 has.

Thanks. That's what I figured. I am going to have to try and look for a system that has the licenses already pre-loaded. I am also guessing that the UM8000 won't without the UMS Port licenses, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back