Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SV8300: how do activate a new punch down on 66 block and identify it's extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCromer

MIS
Mar 15, 2022
US
So upfront, I will tell you I'm just learning Telco on this level so please be patient with my Green-ness! I needed a new extention added to an office which has only 1 jack and 1 existing phone line to it. So, I used 2 of the unused pair to create a 2nd line. I then traced the wires to the correct place on the 66 block and then patched it to our NEC SV8300. Here is where I get lost. I'm told that I have to activate it in the SV8300 using PC Pro, but how do I identify that specific place on the 66 block and assign an extension to it?

I'm very new at this and would appreciate any assistance to get me going in the right direction.
Thanks

Ok so you are looking at this from the wrong direction! you get it working in the NEC first, Your issue is finding a spare port that is equipped. Do you have PC Pro?

Hmm, try to search for MDB journal or how it's called down there - a document where all ports/boards/shelfes/cables/patch-panels are drawn with their inter-connections.
On many old sites I did search for papers which were left by installers and was succesfull.

(OZZIEGEORGE) PC Pro is installed. I found an available extension and tested it; got nothing. So I went into "blade configuration" and enabled slot 11 with said extension # and followed the prompts to reboot. Then dialed the extension and it rang, however It looks like 66 blocks were thrown up as needed and not labeled with up to date labels. I enabled the extension at 010411 ( which I interpreted to mean punch block 1, 4th wire, slot 11) - I verified at the NEC that the cables do in fact go to that particular block by following the wires but I still have to call no joy.

(STO933) - we do not have any documentation that I am able to find. Some of the punch blocks are still labeled as rooms that no longer exist. There was a remodel done years ago and apparently the labeling schema was never updated. ( or filed somewhere that would make sense lol)

The numbering has nothing to do with the blocks. It refers to the port on the system. Follow the logic below.

010411 stands for Unit 01 (this PBX) Card slot 04 and Port 11 on the card.

They are in 4 pair groups so the 11th port would be the 3rd connector on the card. Look at that connector and see if you can identify the colored pairs from the wiring. You can follow that cable and it should show you the block you are connected to. If you could identify the colors on the connector you can now narrow down the pairs you need to test.

Thank guys! I did get it working and learned ALOT in the process,- about the physical wiring and the configurations in the SV8300! I also learned that a supported phone has to be used, - not all work with this device! :)

Good job getting it working. The 8300/9300 would be a challenging system as your first one to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back