Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspicious processes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenHaddock

Technical User
Mar 10, 2005
GB
Hi,

I have several instances of a process called "kb9zmp.exe" running. I have not noticed this before and it's got my suspicious.

I have scanned with AVG and Trend Micro Housecall and found nothing, I have also ran a most recent version of stinger and again found nothing.

Should I be concerned? What else can I do?

Also does anyone know this is:

msnmesengers.exe

(yes, there is only one S in the process name which is also suspicious)

I thought AVG was an excellent scanner - is it possible that it's missing something?

Thanks

Hi, GoldenHaddock,

This thread may help: thread760-1029496.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Follow the steps in faq608-4650. You probably have some type of spyware or hijacker going. AVG is an excellent scanner however it's and anti-virus program. None of the anti-virus programs do much with spyware/adware/hijackers as those are a different animal and require different tools.

Good luck.

[purple]Jeff
It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

You're right about "msnmesengers.exe", see here:

Info on Task List programs:

I don't know what "kb9zmp.exe" is, but Google did not return any results which, in my experience, indicates that it is probably not malware.

You should not only have a Virus scanner, but also some Spyware utilities.
I use MS Antispyware, Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware SE, all free!

TomCologne

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice.

Good point MasterRacker, I just assumed it would be a virus, never thought that it could be spyware :)

I also use SpyBot and AdWare, which did not seemingly find this.

I used the Security Control Panel along with Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel and quarantied the suspicious processes and stopped them from starting in the first place.

I located the "kb9zmp.exe" file and removed it manually.

Since then it doesn't seem to be running so I think i've caught it!

I checked all the other running processes and they are all genuine, so I think i'm clean once again.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back