Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspend/Standby Locks Up Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnysavage

Programmer
May 29, 2002
US
Suspend used to work on my comp. It stopped working two days ago when my kids (ages 2 & 4) were messing with it.

What happens now, is that the video and ethernet cards suspend, but that is as far as the computer gets in the suspend procedure. The floppy light comes on, and stays on. The power light never goes into its flashing state. When I try to wake the computer, nothing happens. I have to hold down my power button to shut down the computer and cycle the power switch on my power supply, or my NIC won't power back up.

Does anyone have some troubleshooting suggestions?

Some corrections:
1) My floppy drive light does NOT come on
2) My hard drives do go into suspend mode

Please help me!

. Give your kids limited user rights when they logon ;-)
. Check your screensaver settings
. Review all power options through device manager
. Review all power options through the BIOS
. Review your monitor definition and type in Device Manager

If your kids changed the ACPI drivers through Device Manager you may have to reinstall Windows. But somehow I think that unlikely. If your 2 and 4-year-old wanted to hack the computer that much, they would likely have also locked you out of the Administrator account as well. :)

There are several causes for the lock-up that I have seen
I would recommend looking at your antiviral program settings . What seem to occure is that the hard drive shuts down when the antiviral is running and it locks the system up. the other cause is that the network card is trying to reconnect but cant and because it hasnt released it wont boot back up
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back