Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suspect my pc got virus but fail to defect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngaisteve1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2003
SG
I suspect my pc infected by virus. One of the signs is out of the sudden, There is the folder name disappear when I view it in Window Explorer. Before that, there is a message saying window/desktop/desktop/desktop not available. Actually there is only c:/window/desktop/desktop/ (yeah, I created another folder in desktop called desktop) and not c:/window/desktop/desktop/desktop.

I went for lunch just now and when I came back, there is a complete blue screen and half horizontal line and I can't do anything. After pressing one key from the keyboard, the computer beebs. I can't even ctrl, alt, del. So, I forced to press the re-start button.

But, I scanned my pc using norton antivirus yesterday, no virus found. I think norton failed the task. Anyway, I downloaded the latest's virus definition just now and now perform antivirus scan.

In my computer, do a disk cleanup. This will delete temp files, empty deleted items folder, etc. Then schedule a disc scan for error checking, select automatically fix and also to detect and repair bad sectors. You will have to reboot for this to begin.

After that, do a defrag of the disk. Then reboot.

See if that helps.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

also-as a cross check on your virus scanner, you can do an on-line scan with a different product. faq760-3862 gives you several options for this process.

but avg is for personal use only. This computer is in the company not in my house personal computer.

Does the activity you have explained happens frequently. Do let me know.
Is there any possiblity of changing your antivirus from Norton to McAfee, if you can I can help you a lot more.
If not, just install it on temporary basis, and i can explain you further.

Narinder

If it is company computer then I am sure that it would be against policy to unistall AV, or use another. If they are using Corp Edition of Nortons, at least that is the most solid, IMO.

Have you figured out the problem? It is likely not a virus if you scanned with latest Norton. Did you do the maintenance as suggested? That is always the first place to start.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Actually, if it's a company computer, don't you people have techs for exactly that kind of thing?

Call your helpdesk. I know i would.

Actually, I'm the person though that is not my main job description.

Just remove all the default shares and the other shares from the machine, which will restrict an access of the folders and the drives of the machine. Which is the most common method of infection.

Try to download the common used utility to scan the machine. The utility named as Stinger.exe. You can get it from the link provided.

Try scanning your machine using this utility. The common factor utility between McAfee and Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back