Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suse on a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

je150

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2003
US
Ive already downloaded the live cd, booted and worked fine, now i have the boot iso to dl and install SUSE 9.1 pro, since the home doesnt have hardly any dev tools. I am trying to do this on a laptop. Case in point, i know generally what i am doing, unfortunately, i have yet to find a dual boot guide for this system. I have a 5604 laptop running windows xp pro. I also have 6 gig partitioned off as a second hard drive. The suse installer is a bit confusing to me and my main concern it, once i get it installed, how will the boot process go. Will i need a bootdisk to load windows if i ever want to go back to it? or will it give me an option. Thats what i cant seem to find on their installer. Thanks ~

What is the boot-loader: lilo or grub?
I only know lilo.
It writes to the MBR, and is independent from linux.
If you want to get rid of linux, as one of the last steps, you would set your default-boot system to win, set a nodelay, and remove the linux-entry at all.
After wiping linux away, nothing would remind you of it.

Of course I suggest wiping the xp - I did it and feel better since then :)

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Ok thanks. So basically when i boot up it will give me a choice of operating systems. I would blow away windows except there are some games i like to play that im unsure will work with linux. I would think it would be lilo or at least give you the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back