Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suse 9 and internet access Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mphayesuk

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
GB
I have a install of Suse 9.2 and two network cards each with a public static ip. The gateway has been set to the router ip, which is also a public router. What I can do is ping any web address and that works properly. The problem is when I come to visit the web page through the web browser, which is the default suse one, the request times out on port 80.

I have tried this with my apache server disabled.

Any help would be good.

Thanks

If your apache server is disabled, what do you expect to answer on port 80?

What I expect to happen is normal internet browseing, ie treating the suse 9 box as a workstation. I disabled apache in case that was affecting normal internet access.

I'm sorry, I misread the original post. Is you router doing any port redirection or anything? Is the browser set up to use a proxy? Can you telnet to another web server, say google.com, on port 80 and type:
Code:
GET / HTTP/1.0
then hit "Enter" twice. You should get HTML dumped in response.

* Router is not doing any port re-direction
* Browser is not set up to use a proxy
* Have not tried telent to a web server will try later and post the result.

Thanks

Ok thanks for all your posts, I have worked it out, it turns out that the firewall was turned on, which for some reason stoped me from getting out. (Thought a firewall stopped people from getting in) never mind. Once again thanks from all you posts, its nice to know there are people willing to share their knowledge.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back