Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suse 8 Enterprise Linux vs HP Proliant DL 380 G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicentell

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
MX
Hi there

I am trying to install Suse 8 Enterprise on a HP Proliant DL 380 G4. At the moment to install Suse It does not recognize any hard drive, I guess is because it does not recognize the raid controller, I am using raid controller HP model 6402 and 6i that is embeded on the server, I update the firmware for both but the problem stills. Is there any part before installa Linux or during the installation process that I can update the drivers for this array controller in order to linux recognize the Hard Disks?
I was tring with mirroring array but I check that I should use raid 0 in order to work, I did it but linux stills not recognizing any hard disk.

Thank in advance

Hi Vicentell,

I have the same problem (except I have DL385 with AMD), so I am wondering if You managed to solve it?
I tried to add drivers for RAID (from HP site), but it didn't help.
If You have any idea, please, let me know.

Regards

Grunfman

Hi. I called HP for Support and I could not have Suse8 Working with HP DL380 G4, So What I did I tried with Suse 9 and it work just fine.

in spite that HP Site said that Suse8 and Suse9 work with DL380, I could not have it work either HP Mexico and HP USA, they suggested me to install Suse 9.

You can try suse 9 I hope yuor application works with suse 9.

I posted on HP Forum. here what they answer me.

and they got me this link for drivers

HP ProLiant Smart Array Controller (x86/AMD32) Driver for SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (x86)

I hope this help you a little

Hi, I managed to solve this problem and here is how I did it:
Driver from the HP Site is built for kernel 2.4.21 SP3 United LInux, but I have the initial installation CDs, with kernel 2.4.19.
That is why installation of this RAID Controller driver fails.
But I managed to find update CDs with SP3 for SUSE 8.
You must boot system and start installation with these new CDs (actually with the first one), and then continue with the actual inst CDs.
And that is it.
It works.
Thank You very much for Youe replay.
Have a nice day.

T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back