Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SuSE 6.2 cpp won't compile PostgreSQL 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Octalman

Programmer
Aug 11, 1999
US
Visit site
I want to compile PostgreSQL 7.0 on SuSE Linux 6.2, but the PostgreSQL compilation setup program 'config' dies with a cpp/c++ message saying it can't issue executables; and the config script logs an error message:<FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open crtbegin.o: No such file or directory</font></font>The config script is checking cpp/c++ at this point to see if it can compile PostgreSQL. On checking, I found crtbegin.o in <FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3</font></font>, but I can't symlink <FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld</font></font> to <FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.3</font></font> because <FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld</font></font> is already defined as a symlink to <FONT FACE=monospace><font color=red>/usr/bin/ld</font></font> - which is a file, not a directory, in SuSE 6.2.BTW, I compiled (using buildkernel) and am using the 2.2.14 kernel instead of SuSE's 6.2 kernel, which is based on the 2.2.10 kernel.&nbsp;&nbsp;Stopped the disk thrashing.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think the kernel build only uses gcc.I haven't used cpp/c++ before and am not familiar with the configuration stuff for any part of (g)make and the GNU compilers, but it looks like SuSE has put some things in some &quot;nonstandard&quot; place(s).Octalman

Nevermind!&nbsp;&nbsp;I had gcc 2.7.2.3 installed instead of egcs.&nbsp;&nbsp;An item about an identical problem with f77 on SuSE 6.0 clued me in.&nbsp;&nbsp;The information is there about Linux, but finding what is needed is a monster sometimes.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just like anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back