Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS Question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

neutec

Technical User
Apr 26, 2003
Hello All,
I have a Win2k server running SUS. Everything is working fine. What I need SUS to do is update new PC's I add to the network that have not had any patches applied. I want to force the update rather then waiting for it to update 24 hours later. Does anyone know how to do this? If I use the Windows Update link it of course goes to Microsofts update site and not my SUS server. I would like to speed up the updates by using our SUS server.

Thanks

Oh yeah, I know what WUAU means but what is WUAUAU? Srkey keeps mentioning that.

Sorry people but maybe it is just wuau not wuauau and maybe it is wuauauau not wuau, i can't remember exactly but it starts with wuau in any case. If u saw wuau than u are doing fine, probibaly. Cosidering Urnens question i dont know answer. I puted both, computers and users accounts, in OU 'cause it was part of my configuration not because of SUS. That is why i never tryed to put just one of them. It sounds logical that u need to put computer acc rather than user acc? Anyway i did not tryed.

Sorry Bulk i just dont have SUS infront of this computer i'm writing from...

Urnen, the way I have it set up is with just the computers in the OU. Logically, you want updates to be applied to each computer, so it makes sense to have the policy applied to just the computers.

Sure makes sense, i think that was my problem. Thx all.!

OK Guys, could you please clear something up for me with regards to SUS: do I need to be running AD? at present we are still on a NT4 domain structure ( soon to be migrating ) we have quite some win 2k and win xp PC's on the network and would really benefit from using SUS, I've managed to install SUS on one of our win 2k servers and have received updates, but the problem I have is to be able to get the clients to get the updates from the SUS server ie, they just won't, I've tried all the reg edits to point to the SUS server but still nothing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Sorry for jumping on your thread.....

Mick.

If you want to configure SUS to force the update without allowing the user to say No to installing them, then you have to configure the User portion of the GPO and put the Users into an OU that has the policy applied.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Where's that, lander? I don't have that option for users, only the option to remove their access to windows update features. That's applied in an OU with only computers in it and it works.

The option to remove access to windows update is a user policy, not a computer policy. How did you get a computer policy to apply to a user?

I tested it in the lab and until I put a user into an OU that had the user policy applied (to not allow access to Windows Update), it wouldn't work. The users continued to have access to Windows Update, and could say "No" to the system updates.

When I set up SUS, I added the WUAU.adm template to my group policy I created for the OU containing computers. After adding the template, under the "User configuration" portion of the policy I changed the setting in Windows Update to Enable the "Remove access..." setting. I also made the appropriate changes to the Windows Update settings in the "Computer configuration" portion of the policy. I never created a policy for the users but they cannot change the Automatic Updates settings on their computers. Of course, I probably did something wrong because I've noticed a couple times where the users get the "You have updates waiting to be installed.." message even though they should install automatically every night.

Are your users Administrators on their own machines? If not, that would explain it. If a user isn't an Administrator, then they can't do the Windows Update. If users are local admins, they you have to modify the GPO for the users and place them into an OU that has that GPO applied.

I'd guess the users that aren't getting updated are local admins? and thus since you didn't change their GPO, they won't automatically install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back