Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SUS Not Updating to Clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge07

MIS
Oct 20, 2003
CA
Hello,

I am new to SUS but here is what I have done and the problems I am having.

I have installed SUS on a Server 2003 box. I have downloaded and approved all updates.
I Have created a Group Policy at the Domain Level but only applied it to a specific Organizational Unit for computers in a specific area. In the GP I have all four settings enabled.
The problem is that when a user logs on nothing happens? I have went to the registry editor and the keys seem to be correct for WindowsUpdate. Is there something more I should do on the Client computer?

Thanks

The initial update to the client can take up to 24 hours, kind of a "cooling off" period before the SUS server kicks in. After that, it depends on your settings. If you've set your clients to update one day a week, then the automatic updates won't occur until then.

Second, are you sure the computer in question isn't completely patched already? If it is, then obviously, no updates are necessary and nothing will happen.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for the reply, I found the problem. I had to give users read rights to the SUS folder on the SUS server.

Interesting. I installed the SUS to a clean install of W2K Server and had to make no changes to the server itself.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back