Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Survivable remote processor removal. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill712

Technical User
Oct 27, 2004
US
I am not a definity tech. One of my sales guys asked me if I would post this for you guys to answer.

He wants to know if there is anything you "must" do to remove a survivable remote processor from a system?

I don't know what it is or what it does...so if you could help me out, I would appreciate it.

Bill

dont know what a "remote processor" is but for a processor card you must do the following:

1)do a save translation so that all programming can be saved to memory. I would be bad if you turned the system back on and all the programming is missing

2)power down the whole PBX. If you have multiple cabinets, start with the top cabinets and work your way down to the control cabinet(usually the bottom cabinet)

3)pull the card out by using the little handle on the front of the card

4)power the PBX on starting with the control cabinet...count 10 or 15 before turning the power on the other cabinets. this allows the processor and other control cards to power on and start before the other cabinets start looking for them to interface with

hope this helps

Brian

To error is human.....if the machine doesnt work, then KICK IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i think he means a remote processor cabinet which is connected via a link. in the event the "main" site fails, the remote processor will take over as the brains. in a way this is what basically gateways are.

that would be it...after I beat the sales weasel to within an inch of his life for using bigger words than he needed. Irisngen is correct...is there anything special we need to do to remove it from the system? Me? I would just unplug the damn thing, clear the alarms and call it day! But I don't get to make that call so let me know what if anything needs to be done to disable it.

Thanks again!!!

a survivable remote is kind of a complex little beast. there is a cabinet that has the survivable SPE in it, and then there's the EPN cabinet. to my memory, the fiber is run from the PNC through the SPE cabinet, to the EPN, so you'll have to fool with that. i don't think there's any administration to be done, though.

ok let me know what you have on site 8700/8500/g700/8300/g350/g3r's
is the processor an LSP(local survivable processor)
ESS)Enterprise survivable processor?)

give me as much info as you can and i will tell you what needs doing

cheers

Thanks for the response d3finity.

Here is the info straight from the sales weasel's mouth.

It is G3r V6.0
Multiple EPN's
1-SRP (this is apparently old school in an SI carrier)

If you need more info just ask and I can pull finger nails or use the bamboo shoots under the nails to get it!

Bill

can i ask also what is to happen at the site with the SRP?

They just want it eliminated from the system...don't know why...but they just want to remove it from the system.

Bill

ah so the other site will remain to work off the main site

That is the way I understand it. I think there tearing down the facility it resides in and putting up a new one. So it looks like a temporary thing. So I guess they just want to disable it and then of course enable it at a later time.

Bill

Make sure you cleanly shutdown and unregister any fiber links from the config (change fiber), otherwise you may end up with phantom objects in your system you may not be able to remove afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back