Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surge Protection for Legend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim E

Technical User
Jun 6, 2017
US
Since Florida is the lightning capital, I've added multiple surge protectors in my home to cover Internet and power lines. For my Legend system, I'm currently using the Lucent Sneak Current Protection unit (507B sneak protector) for analog lines (up to 25 lines). I've noticed some systems use the Lucent 146C (4 lines) for protection. Is there a difference other than the line capacity? Is one better than the other? Thanks for the advice! Jim

Lucent_Protectot_4_ypumtc.jpg
Lucent_Sneak_kk4k6h.jpg

I've always used the 146C. I don't think we have quite as much lightning in South Dakota as you do in Florida, but I do lose systems due to unprotected loops. On the IPO, there's a little black chip that always burns and pops off. If it kills the first combo card, it will make the second combo card go to sleep until you replace the first. Partner systems seemed to blow at the drop of a hat because there wasn't much of anything internally to guard against strikes. I've always found Legend and Magix to be beasts when it comes to rough environments (superseded perhaps by Nortel MICS/CICS). I would go with the 146C ONLY because it's what I'm familiar with.

I don't know if that was helpful or not. I'm just doing my part to clog the Internet.

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back