Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supressing section in main report

Status
Not open for further replies.

problemman1

Technical User
Jun 2, 2010
KW
I have a main report which has 4 section (Detail A to Detail D).
Rest all(header,footer.etc) are suppressed(idontrequirethem)
In each of these sections i have subreports.
The 3rd detail section has 2 subreports along with a header i manually created there.So the arrangement is something like a box with certain headlines are shown and below that i have added these subreports.(This is how the Detail C section looks)
My requirement is to suppress this detail section if both these 2 subreports are blank. Currently i have checked the "subreport suppress if blank" and it works but i want that box also to get suppressed if the subreports are blank(means the section to get suppressed)
Note:-the subreports will either be blank together or it will have data together.Its not like one can have data and the other cannot.Please help. How can i achieve this programatically?

In the section expert you can check - Suppress blank section.

Ian

Place the header inside one of the subreports instead of in the main report section. Then the suppress blank section should work.

-LB

lbass...the header if placed inside one of the subreport it will look as the header for just that subreport...that header is common for these both of these subreports....let me explain how it looks..the header is widely spread to the end of the layout in detail section C and below that subreport1 and subreport 2 are placed one next to the other..i have supressed the subreports if blank but it doesnt help me supress this header..my intention is :
I have 4 detail section which shows 4 pages of my reports and the 3rd section has this ..so if these are supressed when my report is generated i want this 3rd page to disappear..so my report shud have only 3 pages..i have done reports with one subreport in each section..but not tried multiple subreports in one section..please help..

Well, I was thinking you could right justify it. Another option would be to place one sub in detail_c and one in a new detail_d. Stretch the first sub to the width of the page and add the header to this sub and center it. Place the fields in this sub only on the left side, and then format detail_c to underlay following sections. The only problem would be ensuring that the the sub in detail_d was at least as tall as the sub in detail_c--so that the underlay doesn't extend into your new detail_f. However, if they are always the same height, that won't be a problem.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back