Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppressing a Field in the Page Header 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

faush

MIS
Mar 6, 2001
US
This may be confusing...

I am creating a dues invoice and have the member ID field at the top right of the page, in the Page Header section. I can't put this field in the details section, because of the way they want the form designed.

Problem is, the report is duplicating members when they have several different payment amounts. For example, say a member has a dues amount of $100, but they also have a credit to their account..the report is putting the $100 on one invoice, and the credit on the next one, etc...

I think I need to suppress if duplicated the member ID field so that one invoice gets generated for one member and all amounts get placed on one invoice, but can't because it's in the page header.

Any suggestions? Am I even on the right track? thanks!

Group the report by Member_id and suppress the group header and footer.

Put the payment amounts into the detail section.

Set a new page after each group footer.

This should give you one invoice per member_Id and start a new page for each member

Thanks, I tried that, but it didn't work.

BUT, I now know why...it's because of the data in the file. When someone has a dues amount to pay, they have a record in the file. If someone receives a credit, they have a record in the file. If someone belongs to one of our sections they pay for, they have a record in the file...therefore, some people are coming out on several notices.

Do you know of any way around this mess? I'm stuck.

Thanks!!

Further clarification - the same person has multiple records in the same file, just with different payment amount.

OK...

What type of file (DB) is it?
Is the credit in the file a negative (-110.00) or is it a positive amount (100.00) and somehow coded as a CREDIT? That may give you (us?) a clue as to how to proceed. :-I
ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

It's a DB2 AS/400 file. The amounts themselves are packed. However, they are in the format above, as you guessed: -50.00

Ex. of file:

John Doe Section: Health
John Doe AAA Credit
John Doe Section: Pension
John Doe ASA Dues

Hi...anyone have any questions on this? Any info. would be helpful.

If I understand correctly you are having a problem that requires you to combine these multiple person records for the same person, and show the results of the records- not just the individual records.

Consider this method: Group by person ID, then put the total due from the person in the group footer, not in the detail section. Use a sum({fieldname},{PersonID}) formula to add and subtract the relevant records for this.

Then show the details as line items on the invoice.

Use a formula, not a running total, so you can increase your flexibility if you have to make changes.

Then you set a new page after each group footer. And reset page numbers after each.

Hi,

This didn't work, because there isn't just one amount that's due from each person. I have about 50 formulas for each invoice, each displaying dues amounts, section amounts, credits and late fees. These amounts are spread all over the invoice.

For some people, I have up to 8 invoices b/c they belong to a few sections, have a credit, etc.

Any other ideas? I know this may be a tough one.

But you do actually only need them to get one mailing that has the accumulation of all the dues, credits and late fees in one final total, yes?

And half of your problem is displaying the information, and the other half would be totalling it, yes?

The displaying of information should be solveable as described previously.

To get all the many and varied items to accumulate in one place, you could try using a variable. This lets you float information around, even between reports and subreports.

You know:

shared NumberVar numInvoiceTotal;
numInvoiceTotal := numInvoiceTotal + ... ;

You could go with shared or global for the variable declaration, so you can use it wherever.

Then you obviously need to zero out the total between persons (personID).

shared NumberVar numInvoiceTotal;
numInvoiceTotal := 0 ;

Or am I still not understanding your problem?

There's writeups for using variables in the Prima guide, the "Complete Reference" and somewhat in the help file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back