Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suppress white space in a cross-tab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pl1101

Programmer
Dec 5, 2009
Can someone please help me with a cross-tab delima?
I have to insert a cross-tab to show:

row: Part
column: date
Summary: quantity on hand

I can create the cross-tab, but I only want the numbers to display. When I suppress everything else, the report still leaves space where the suppressed totals and labels should be. Can I get rid of this white space? In the section expert, I have "suppress blank section", but this does not work. Help please!

You should go to the customize style tab and check "suppress column totals" (or row totals). Depending upon what is suppressed, i.e., if it is an entire summary or a label, for example, you can also minimize the height/width while in design mode.

-LB

I have the totals suppressed using the way you suggest, but also I need to suppress the column name. I only need the column to group horizontally by date, but I don't want to show it. I suppressed by using the format field (suppress). After doing this, the white space is still there.

Example:
234 1 4 4

I need it to look like this

This is where you need to "minimize the height/width while in design mode"--If you look in design mode, you will see the labels grayed out. Grab the bottom boundary upwards to minimize the label height. This will help, but not totally solve the issue. If you uncheck "show cell margins", the label height becomes much smaller. And you can remove selected grid lines by unchecking "draw" in customize style->format grid lines->uncheck draw.

-LB

I have done all of the suggestions, but the white space that I am trying to get rid of is the grayed out space. The report still allows for the row that is grayed out in preview mode. Is there anyway to get rid of that white space in preview mode?

Is there an option to suppress blank lines?

-PL

I have struggled with this same problem. What you need to do is go to the Customize Style tab then click on the "Format Grid Lines" button. From there you can click on the top/header lines then deselect then to be drawn.

Dianne

I am not showing the lines. The problem that I am having is I don't want the report to allow for the grayed out space. Meaning the white space. In the report design I have gf1 showing a row and gf1a has a cross tab. The cross tab has a grayed out row that shows white space in the preview mode. I need the report to shrink to the "Visible" summary row. The other rows are suppressed and not showing. Everything I need to show is diplayed, I can not shrink the section any more because of the area for the cross tab box itself. I am not sure if I am explaining it right????? (It is the growing and shrinking of the cross tab)

Can you recreate the problem using the Xtreme database and post a URL to the file?

Did you try unchecking the "show cell margins" box--it doesn't eliminate the white space entirely, but it does reduce it, in combination with minimizing the suppressed label height. You can't really eliminate the column heading feature itself.

-LB

The solution was to shrink the headers to the smallest. I went into the Customize Type tab and changed the Orders.Order Date line white (it was red). Then I went to Format Grid Lines and deselected the top horizontal and vertical lines. Once I OK'd out of there I clicked on the actual Product_Type sub-total fields, went to Format Fields, clicked on the Border tab and chose RED for the fill color. The result: no white header space or lines and the sub-totals were red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back