Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress Recalculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

MedInfoMan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2002
US
Is there a way to suppress BO recalculating everything in a document while doing format edits? If I so much as change the typeface to Bold for a cell, it takes a couple of minutes or so for me to get to the next edit. Also would like to build graphs this way, and then retoggle the recalculate mode back on.

you are experiencing this problem either because the report is too large more than 30 pages and has lot of variables defined or simply because of low PC performance.

Now to solve your poblem of not wanting BO to perform the recalculation every time you make a change specially cosmetic changes you can change to the structure mode
(second last button on the report toolbar). Once in this mode u will see only the structure of the report and not the values or rows. Once you make all necessary changes toggle back to normal mode. This might take a bit time.

The alternative to the structure approach is to build new reports always with a limited set of data or by setting a very restrictive filter on a section so that recalculate-time is reduced dramatically. (To be honest I often forgot about the filter and ended up with puzzled users....)
So, set the partial results on the query options to a small set , start formatting and reset the partial results when you are done............. T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back