Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suppress 0 in line graph

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjoy123123

Programmer
Oct 22, 2002
US
I've set up a line graph in Crystal 8.0. When the graph encounters a blank record (value is NULL not 0), the graph displays properly as long as I'm running the report within Crystal Report Designer - you don't see a data point for that record. The line discontinues at this point and then picks back up with the next record that has a valid number in it.

Here's the problem - I'm calling this same report from VB 6.0. HOWEVER, the blank record that was not being displayed running from Crystal is now showing as a 0. So now my line graph dips all the way down to 0 before going to the next valid record. It's messing up my graph because it appears as if these records have a 0 instead of being NULL.

Any ideas? I'm clueless on this one. I assumed that a Crystal Report graph would display the same regardless of whether it's being called from VB or running with Crystal but it appears that it doesn't. Thanks in advance!

Do you want the records that contain the NULL value? If not you could type in 'NOT ISNULL({fieldname})' in the record selection.

DLC

Well, for that particular graph I want the records that do not contain a null value, but since I have other information I need on that same record, I don't want them excluded.

For example, in a given record I have Blood Pressure, Weight, and Height. I have graphs for all 3 of these. I can't exclude the records with no weight because that same record COULD have a height that I need to see.

Instead of using not isnull{{field}) in your record select, maybe it would work if you just replaced the problem field with a formula and used this for graphing:

if not isnull({field}) then {field}

This would preserve the record, since other fields from that record are being used elsewhere. I'm not sure this will work, but it might be worth a try.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back