Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supporting horizontal CAT6 runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gromitsupport

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2011
US
I am looking to wire my house with CAT6 and COAX. I am looking to properly support the long horizontal runs that I will have in my house. I was planning on using Bridle rings or zip ties screwed into the underside of the floor joists. But after some research I discovered that that is not the optimal way of supporting CAT6 cabling. I was then looking at the CADDY supports, but I can't seem to find any that fit my install application. My cable runs will all be run perpendicular to the floor joists, and I can only find the CADDY brackets that can be screwed into the wooden beams that would run parallel with the CAT^ cables that was why I was going to use Bridle rings that I could screw into the bottom edge of a 2x10 that run ever 16" OC spacing them ever 3-4 feet.

Any idea? Is using zip ties OK if they are loose and I space them out every other floor joist?

Thank you for the info, I will look at Panduit products.

In residential you usually don't want to attach anything to the top/bottom of joists since it can be damaged or someone might want to drywall over it later. The usual practice is to bore a hole large enough for all cables (+15%) at least 1" in from the edge. Snap a chalk line and use a square so the center of the holes are on the same line.

Otherwise I just bang in a a NM staple to the side of a joist and use a loose zip tie. Once again snap a chalk line so you can keep everything nice and straight.

Since the joists are 12"-16" apart the zip ties don't have to be tight to do the job.

Stay at least a foot away from AC power or cross at 90 degrees.

Thanks again for the info. I was going to drill holes, but then I realized that there where already many pipes running below the joists, the basement already has 9ft ceiling, so losing an inch is not a big deal, plus its my house and I will never Sheetrock my basement ceiling and can't stand people who do. It makes future work so much more expensive. I will be going drop ceiling at some point.

Yeah I think I might just go the staple and zip tie route, paying $3 - $5 for a CADDY or Panduit J-Hook seems a bit nuts to me.

It all depends on if you don't mind seeing exposed wires. I would use the moulding wherever the exposed is, and the cable ties/velcro, etc. where you can't see the cabling.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Yep, if there are already pipes and such secured to the bottom of the joists there is little reason not to put your cables there also. I'd bang a staple in each joist but not zip tie all of them until you are done running cables.

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to bang a staple in every other joist, run a zip tie through each staple and leave the zip ties loose. I am running about 15 CAT6 cable per bundle coming from three direction locations all going to a wall mounted rack. Where they combine I will run the zip ties on every joist, or break down and get some j-hooks for the last bit of run where all the cables are bundled together. Or just run them in 3 separate bundles. We'll see as I go along.

You shouldn't use zip ties on cat6. Get velcro.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

Any place online to get a roll of velcro that is affordable?

As long as you don't deform the cable anything will work.

Wires is correct. Cable ties are cool, JUST DON'T OVER-TIGHTEN! Just snug enough to keep them from drooping.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back