Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Support Contracts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2001
US
We're thinking of NOT renewing our support contract since: 1. Support is of no help whatsoever; and 2. every new release fails to fix bugs or introduces new ones.

Anyone out there running Networker (or Buttworker, as I like to call it) without a support contract? If yes, describe your experiences.

-Thanks.

I backup up about 60tera (all Unix) I would NOT dream of doing that with out a contract.. Networker 6.1.1 rocks..

6.1.1 release is the release with all the fixes. I do keep my maintenance up and tech support has improved. It has gotten better and better than the one's I have dealt with in the past. I would give NW a little time and be very exact in what you expect back from support.

I believe in the three chance theory.

Good luck!

I've been using NW since 1995. Is this enough time?

We're using 6.1.1 build 238 (latest, I think), and boy there are funky things going on. My personal favorite is the Read-Only/Recyclable problem (which just surfaced 2 weeks ago): mark a volume as Recyc, and sometimes it never does.

Hi

I am starting to hate legato.
I have 32 servers half NT and most fail every night.
I just got support and they have not told me anything I do not know yet. So I have no experience on support.

Do you know if there is any problems with 6.0.2 ???
Keeps showing save: RPC error: unable to send errors. FernandezD
At your service.
Unix systems Admin

upgrade to NW611 and apply latest fix for nsrd. works fine. i agree with you that legato support is sometimes not a help but it's always to have a support contract. renew your contract at least you have someone to blame to.

6.1.1 build 238 is the latest (as of this hour) there is a new nsrjb and nsrmmd out (get from support) for unix that works much better. I have 115 drives on my sol 8 server. with 5 jukeboxes (soon to have another L700 with 20 super dlt drives- - will let you know how that goes!!) my biggest complaint now is adding a drive or client - U MUST REBUILD THE DAMM JUKEBOX.. O well Have fun..

jdale2000: i'm interested on the latest nsrmmd fix. can you provide the ff:

build #, build date and build info:

just run what /nsr/nsrmmd.

Thanks.

For packageman: in NW6, legato has changed the index algorithm. the reason why your volumes are not converted to recyclable is that there is a index save set also stored in that volume. create a separate pool for index and bootstrap only. refer to legato support for instruction. if not, let me know.

hope this helps

We use a company called StorNet for support. Their problem solving abilities are sometimes no better than Legato (their first response is always to "read the admin guide"), although they have come through a couple times.

There is one thing that they do that makes them worthwhile. All of your product updates will come through them, and they don't send them out until they have been thouroughly tested in their labs. This doesn't mean there are no bugs in the software, just that they can often recommend a fix or patch for a known problem BEFORE you upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back