Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supernetting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwinIT

MIS
Jan 3, 2010
US
I would like to setup a supernet on our network. We currently have 1 subnet which is filling up quickly. I'm trying to get a feel for how much down time I need to schedule. My questions are:

"How will a supernet effect the current network settings on clients both DHCP and Static IP?"

1. Will the DHCP clients just draw the new subnet mask and connect?
2. Will the static IP clients still connect to the original network IP range using their current settings or will the settings all have to be changed to the new subnet mask?
3. Do I just expand my DHCP scope by setting up child scopes?

I am aware that I will have to change my router configuration and other settings.

It's a bit difficult to advise unless you give us specifics.

It sounds like you just need to take a bit off your subnet mask and then increase your DHCP scope.
Alternatively, setup a second subnet on a new VLAN with its own DHCP scope.

My current configuration is:
network: 192.168.1.0
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

I would like to go to:
Network: 192.168.0.0
Netmask: 255.255.248.0

Giving us a range of: 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.7.254

So in relation to my questions does this help? The immediate goal is to get more IP's available.

We plan on setting up VLAN's for specific uses in the future.

Yes, that sounds fine - change the IP settings in the DHCP scope and you're fine.
You'll need to reset each device on the network so it picks up the new subnet mask (and default GW, if you change that).
Also, you will need to reconfigure any device with a static address, eg switches, printers, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back