Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sup 720 vs. Sup II 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

netman42

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2003
US
I am looking to replace a core network with a new 6509 chassis. I am replacing a cabletron/enterasys ssr8600 16 slot switch/router. My question is: how much more value do i get with SUP 720 card vs Sup II. I'm not sure I can justify the costs. I want to take advantage of 10/100/1000 ae 48 port cards. I see express forwarding but...

The Sup720 has integrated Fabric module; hence the name 720, it refers to the 720Gbps switch fabric. With new CEF720 line-card modules you can achieve this sort of performance. The SupII has no in-built Switch Fabric and runs at 32Gbps. If you add a Switch Fabric Module (takes up a slot) and use CEF256 modules you can achieve 256Gbps throughput.
Be careful when mixing old and new modules in a chassis as the line-cards will have to 'fall-back' to slower speeds when talking to non CEF256 or CEF720 modules. You need to carefully look at what line-cards you need and then see whether it is worth using the Sup720 or the SupII (or even Sup1A?).
I would suggest you do some research on CCO as to what line-cards you intend to populate your chassis with.

Andy

I would like to mix up the line cards a bit. I would like to use the 10/100/1000 cards qty of 2, but would also like to accomodate older architecture like 24 port 100fx fiber card for fiber fed closets. The SUpII card has a MSFC-2/pfc-2 module built in. There are other cards in between, but somewhere in the middle of these 2 types of cards.

You can mix and match the cards. The switch-fabric enabled cards will utilize the Sup720 Switch Fabric, the others will fall back to crossbar switching.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back