Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SunOS operating system...Please HELP!! 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

v2030

Technical User
Jul 23, 2008
US
Hello friends,

I am looking for SunOs operating sw...could any of you point me in the right direction, how to get it?
Also, I am in need of a couple of SPARC2 worksations..if you happen to have any..I will be more than happy to buy them from you....

Any help is greately appreciated.:)

Go to for SunOS, also called Solaris. It's a free download.

You should be able to find quite a few SPARC workstations for very little money on I would suggest something like a Sun Ultra 10. They are real cheap right now and are excellent for just learning or getting started, if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks SamBones for the info.
ok, here is what I am trreying to do...I do have a sparc2
which is ruuning SunOs 4.1.?.?...( I am not quite sure which rev), I need to have a back up workstation just in cast this one quites on me...Could I mirror the HD to another HD? What are my options? Am I pretty much stuck
with Sparc2 or I can export my files to another enviornment. I must also add, that Sparc2 is used to access the files from a Sun server which runs Solaris by script commands.. Thank you all.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sparc2", but you should be able to find a duplicate on eBay if you need to keep it running and it has to be the same model. If it's real old, you might have to wait a while till one gets listed, but you can have eBay automatically email you when one goes up for auction.

I would still suggest getting something newer though. If all you're needing to do is backup files from another server, the version of the OS and model of workstation shouldn't matter. At least from what you've told us so far.

Wow, it's been a long time. I used to hardware mirror my drives in those days and I can't remember if disksuite (Sun's logical volume management) goes back that far.

A dump/restore may work to mirror the drive to another. You'll have to modify the /etc/fstab and install the bootblock (installboot?).

I'd recommend looking at getting newer equipment. Sparc 2's... I've worked on hundreds of them years ago... pigtails, PPP, and dirt slow...

A newer server should still be able to "access files from a Sun server" (rsh presumably) and you wouldn't necessarily have any loss of functionality. Obviously you'd also get software/OS level logical volume management for higher availability and current security patches.

Thank you gentelmen,

I have searched just about any site imaginable, but unable to find a SPARC2 Workstation...The reason I can not move to a different invironment, is I am using a TI c4x Emulator which is attached to the Sparc2, and is not supported in later SUN systems...I did talk to someone at SUN.com, and they told me that Solaris10 should be bit compatable with Sparc2, so If my search for Sparc2 Workstation does not go anywhere, I might give this a try...meanwhile, any help in locating a couple of old SPARC2 Worksations will be most appreciated...Thanks again.

Just go to eBay, select the category "Computers & Networking", then put this in the search field...

[tt] (sparc2,"sparc 2")[/tt]

This should bring up both full systems and spare parts. Two full systems came up when I did it.

I'm surprised they said that at Sun. I was using a SPARCstation-20 (256MB, 2 x 75MHz Ross CPUs) until about a year ago, and the latest version supported on that hardware was Solaris 8 (SunOS 5.8). I'm pretty sure a SPARC2 pre-dates the SPARCstation-20?

Does it look like this?

Are you sure it isn't an Ultra-2?

Annihilannic.

Hello again you a'll,

Annililannic...yes it matches the photo you posted...
I am pretty sure it is "Sparc2-40MHZ" workstation .
and also I am certain about Solaris10 being bit compatable
with SunOs 4.x.x.x.

Also checked out ebay, found two postings SamBones mentioned. They sell them without HD, wonder how they checked functionality without a HD:).

Thanks again guys....I know I will be having some issues with UNIX in coming days...It is great to know there are folks who are willing to help...Thanks again,

I have to make a correction to my previous post...I am certain SUN technical dept. told me that Solaris10 is bit compatable with SunOs4.XXX. I have not validated it..

I think the Sparc2 chipset (SUN4M?) isn't compatible. That said, programs on SunOS 4.X may have binary compatibility with Solaris 10. I wouldn't bet on it though. If they depend on specific libraries... Well, it may be a challenge. You may have to recompile some code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back