Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sunfire V210 server--need to wipe clean 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hapoo12

Technical User
Sep 8, 2009
US
Hello,

We have an old Sunfire V210 server that we are going to use. The problem is that the server used to manage a Genband G6 switch and when we racked it and consoled into it we can't get into it because we don't have the username or password for the Genband software. Basically I am hoping someone can help me start from scratch by removing everything from the server.

Get a fresh dvd of Solaris and install from scratch is probably the easiest thing to do.

In theory you could boot from the dvd into single user mode, then mount the system disk and then edit the /etc/shadow file and give root a null password, then boot it up, login and set the password. But if the system had some sort of specialized, highly configured OS on it it would be better to set it up the way you want it.

Solaris 10 is a free download, just grab the sparc version and burn a dvd. You have to pay for patches and support (with 10).

Thanks domburns62,

When I install a fresh dvd of Solaris 10 will that allow me to format the drives and wipe everything clean? My main concern is that there is a Genband software program on there that will probably interfere with me setting up the server as an asterisks PBX.

Yes- my suggestion would be to reinstall the OS on the unit for you re-use purpose (install it the way you need it or want it)... reinstalling the OS will overwrite whatever was already there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back