Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun to PC serial cable pinouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWalls

Programmer
Jul 25, 2001
GB
Hi,
I need to communicate between a Sun server and a PC via a serial cable. I think i've got the programming done for each end, but i've got to make a serial cable to join them. The Sun serial port has a 25-pin D-connector and the PC has a 9-pin D-connector (only about 8 of them need to be connected though). Basically, i need to know the appropriate pinouts for this cable, so if anyone can tell me, or if they know where i can find out, i would be most grateful. Thanks for your time,
Rob.

to comunicate to a serial device like a printer sun
only need:
2 ----> 3
3 ----> 2
7 ----> 7
i never try a pc. -----------
when they don't ask you anymore, where they are come from, and they don't tell you anymore, where they go ... you'r getting older !

I need to connect the following inputs/outputs etc (the pin numbers for the sun side are given on the left hand side):

7 Ground (GND)
2 Transmit Data (TXD)
3 Receive Data (RXD)
20 Data Terminal Ready (DTR)
5 Clear To Send (CTS)
6 Data Set Ready (DSR)
4 Request To Send (RTS)
8 Data Carrier Detect (DCD) (may or may not be reqd)

I know TXD goes to RXD and GND goes to GND, but i don't know how to connect the other pins up, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks,
Rob.

PINOUT of the SERIAL PORT (--> direction is out of PC)
(Note DCD is sometimes labeled CD)
Pin # Pin # Acronym Full-Name Direction What-it-May-Do/Mean
9-pin 25-pin
3 2 TxD Transmit Data --> Transmits byte out of PC
2 3 RxD Receive Data <-- Receives bytes into PC
7 4 RTS Request To Send --> RTS/CTS flow control
8 5 CTS Clear To Send <-- RTS/CTS flow control
6 6 DSR Data Set Ready <-- I'm ready to communicate
4 20 DTR Data Terminal Ready--> I'm ready to communicate
1 8 DCD Data Carrier Detect<-- Modem connected to another
9 22 RI Ring Indicator <-- Telephone line ringing
5 7 Signal Ground

Only 3 of the 9 pins have a fixed assignment: transmit, receive and signal ground. This is fixed by the hardware and you can't change it. But the other signal lines are controlled by software and may do (and mean) almost anything at all.
--
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
| ----------------------------

I know which pins do what, but i need to know which pins on the Sun port connect to which pins on the PC. For example, i know that GND goes to GND, and TXD goes to RXD in each direction, but what about the others? What does DSR connect to etc? Thanks,
Rob.

I've found the answer now. It was in a book called &quot;RS-232 Made Easy (2nd Edition)&quot; by Martin D. Seyer. It contains pinouts for all sorts of connections between PCs, terminals, printers, modems etc. etc. Very useful book!
Thanks for your help anyway,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back