Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun StorEdge Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunguru99

MIS
Dec 3, 2003
US
I have a T3 StorEdge box connected to a Sun Enterprise 220R server. I am having a problem bringing up the T3's or finding out what is on them. I can't seem to see any of the disks from the T3's when I run a "format" command on the host where the T3 is attached. I think there is a hardware issue that I'm dealing with. I don't think T3's are designed to be implemented on a 220r. (It is connected directly to the host via FC-AL) Maybe there is something that I'm missing. Is there anyone out there that could offer me any advice on this matter? Please help......

a_mattox@hotmail.com

Was it working before?

Usually you cannot direct connect "point to point" FC-AL devices. There is usually a hub or FC-AL switch between them.

I don't think they were ever working. I just started this position, and they want me to find out what is on these T3's. They are connected to the host by (FC-AL). I'm thinking that I could use an ethernet cable to connect to the host and then figure out what is there from a "format" command. Documentation from Sun tells me that I can attach these T3's directly to the host, but there was no clarity on whether to use FC-AL or ethernet or both. Do you have any ideas on what I should do?

FC-AL and ethernet are 2 seperate protocols. FC-AL is fibre channel arbitrated loop, not gig-E.

Thanks for the advice. After a little focus and concentration, I was able to bring the T3 online. I assigned an IP address from the host, and connected them both to the network, and I was able to telnet to the T3. But, there is just one problem!! The administrator who used to administer these boxes is long gone, and so is the root password. There has to be a way around this problem? Do you know of any........

look in yout T3 passwd thread
btw, I opened the same thread abou 1 week ago... ;-)

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back