Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun, Redhat, Suse, & MS. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zepharoo

IS-IT--Management
Jul 21, 2004
US
I have my own opinion to this question, but I would like to get your thoughts.

In the next 5 years, what role do you think unix-based OS's (i.e. Sun, Suse, Redhat, etc.) will play as opposed to the role they are playing now?

Additionally, do you think MS will always have the market sewed-up?

Thanks,

Zepharoo

Strange - I've haven't had to boot any of my Windows 2000 or 2003 boxes for anything that services packs.

Anyway, do you have the stats / refs for your claim that *nix varients rule the server market?

Thanks,

Steve.

EVERYONE knows that Unix owns the server market, unless you are living under a rock. How many Microbloat Wintel machines run large databases, data warehousing, data clearinghouse, and other large performing tasks?

At one company I worked for a large Unix server was running 30 Oracle databases, WebSphere, a Voice Response Unit, bank processing, mainframe printing tasks, Brio business intelligence, MQSeries, DB2, and many other applications. Try running that on your Windoze servers!! I don't think it can handle it.

And you say,
If you've got 300 users and 4 members of staff then maybe Windows would be more appropiate.
Well, I used to work for a company that had about 500 users and there was, guess what? 4 IT staff. Hmmm, we also ran a Unix (AIX) server!

Everyone doesn't know that. You are letting your prejudices mask as facts. SQL Server (which only runs on Mircrosoft Operating systems) has many installations of databases which are in the terrabytes.

We have no Unix servers in our company and never had any need to consider using one. I'm sure there are plenty of simliar companies. That doesn't mean Unix is bad or doesn't get the job done, just that it is not the only choice for servers.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874
Click here to learn Ways to help with Tsunami Relief

Why is it these threads always end up in a bunfight between the nixers and dozers? Between the CLI and the GUI? It's rather simple really: In 5 years time we'll probably be having this same argument all over again!

Each OS is useful for a variety of purposes. Nix will never really capture the desktop market until it gets a decent GUI. Saying that it will always have a place in the server arena because of the security and configuration management which is easier to do providing you have good technical staff.

Windoze has made inroads into the server market primarily due to the lack of complexity which means you can get a lot of low-salary numpties to support it (proof? Look in the forums on this site!).

The worst part about Windoze is the fact that the CEO has it on their desk at home and at work. When you say something will cost 50K they will always find a piece of shareware that does the same job ofr them! (grr - we've all been there!)

Nix, on the other hand, has an aura of mystique around it mainly due to the CLI. This will continue and if it ever gets threatened by a sweet GUI then all Nix techs will say 'No GUI on servers - thats a security risk!' (I say it now anyway!)

There is no right or wrong here, people. There is just discussion. The future lies with good managers being advised by good techs on the best solution for a particular problem. Whether that be Nix or Windoze or a combination. Personally, I prefer a combination but it depends on the application parameters.

<i>Additionally, do you think MS will always have the market sewed-up</i>

No.

Because

"If its a job for them, and a hobby for us, why do they do such a bad job of it."

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

castor66
I couldn't agree more with every bit of your statement.

All
As it has been said in this thread previously and pretty much every other thread on this topic in various forums, there isn't a 'Better OS' - each has it's own place in the market.
Windows is good for the generic enterprise and desktop
*nix is good for datacentre, supercomputer and high processing work.

This has been said many times before, and again and again each thread that mentions more than one OS sparks off a debate about which one is the best.
There isn't a "best" - it depends on the task at hand.

What amazes me is the level of vitriol at times.

Why does so much of this come from the unix camp? The slurs and general name calling is getting very old. I don't see any new information here, just a tiring discussion of a tired old topic.

If there were serious problems on one side or the other, one would die out. At levels that seem to count the two worlds must still be fairly evenly matched.

To All :
Has anyone looked at IBM/AIX "SMIT" (not a true GUI, but
also not a true CLI either, and not half bad to use !)

(just MY $00.02USD)

Anyone notice that the current Mac OS is a GUI on top of a *nix? Linux on the desktop is making such inroads that Bill himslef is talking the the president of Brazil to halt the advance of Linux. MS is also sueing Linspire in Europe since it is also making gains. I have to support my company's product on Windows server, AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and Linux. Windows is the only OS that causes me headaches. No free native debugging tools, no easy access to the server without a resouce hogging terminal services program. The OS and GUI can take up to 1/2 the resources on the machine and the user is unaware of this and can't understand why a 100 meg data file can crash a machine with a gig of RAM. More security holes than just about all other OS's combined, and talk about support! If you have a driver problem on Linux and have done your homework, post a query on usenet and usually the developer will have a patch in 24 hours or less. Ask MS for a patch to a new problem, and you will need to wait weeks, if not months, if you can get them to admit it is their problem. How about an OS that requires you to have internet access to validate your install, yes, XP Pro does. I was setting up a machine for a relative in China and did not want to install a network card. I di purchase the license, but was unable to get a Chinese version on the US. Also, no way to get patches and Service Packs without 'net access.
Here in S. Florida there is a requirement to have bilingual machines, but you can't purchase Spanish MS office in the US.

I run *nix at home except for one machine with XP Pro so I can run support issues when working at home.

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

well all I got to say I really do think linux will come on top soon as it makes a dent in the desktop. and when I open my computer shop I am going to ask the customer if they want to join my program on linux they can try linux for 30 days and if they dont like I will install XP Pro for free.

Yeah pretty expensive offer indeed. Hope you can stay in business. The last time I saw a guy that wanted to try Linux, he was kicking and screaming wanting Windows back 2 days later.

Thats unrelated.
New wine into old wineskins.

I use both. And Netware too. For security and speed.
If every useful Windows program had its Linux equal,
well you get the idea.
No more Redmond Tax.

George Walkey
Senior Geek in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back