Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun rackable servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Folks,

we're looking at buying racks to house four systems, two systems per rack. Does anyone:

a) Have any experience as to whether Sun offer racks for their systems.

b) Whether these racks can be obtained with an integrated shared keyboard/flat screen monitor in the manner of the IBM type which can be folded up and slid away when not in use.

Apologies if the answer's out there - a search of Sun's website produced nothing, but that's not to say the info isn't there, just that my keywords were inadequate.

I recommend using a serial terminal concentrator to manage many Sun servers. We use the Cyclades TS 2000 (32 port) and 3000 (48 port), but there are quite a few out there.

They allow you to connect from the network to the serial console of any server using telnet or SSH, so you can actually have a terminal with chair in front of it (what luxury!!) to work from.

I know Sun do offer racks as we used to use them for A5x00 storage, but can't tell you much about them I'm afraid.

Annihilannic.

if you can tell me what kind of systems you have exactly I can tell you what racks you need exactly. I have access to that specific info

what size cabinet are you going to rack mount them in?
56" 60" 72"

Sun has racks, go to google and search for sun racks or go to the Sun.com site.

If you are getting new Sun server that has the RSC cards
install I recommend using the RSC . The RSC allows you to telnet into the system as a console.
The RSC is bundled with the media and easy to setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back