Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Rack Server Comparisons 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlowe

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2001
GB
Would appreciate help in comparing spec & performance of Sun Netra X1 & Sun Netra T1 servers.
The price tags vary massively, but aside from an optional CD-ROM, and slightly faster CPU, I can't see any great difference.
Can anyone offer any reasons for this ?

Hi,

As far as I'm aware, the X1 is a very cheap, cut-down version of T1, using more 'standard' components, notably an IDE HDD controller.

I haven't seen the price of the T1 in a while, but I know the X! is coming in around 1000USD, so as usual with Sun, you pay your money and take your choice.

Personally, I have installed hundreds of T1s and have been very impressed. Haven't as yet installed any X1's, but I would guess if you're looking for a budget system it's a good choice.

Let me know if I can be any more help.

Regards,

Darren Rathbone

The T1 supports older versions of Solaris, the X1 does not. If your application supports Solaris 8, then you can go with the X1 if you want.

Both the T1 AC200 & X1 have the UltraSPARC IIe processor - which faults when you attempt run 32-bit mode (so much for backwards compatibility). Otherwise the X1 runs @ 400MHz vs. 500MHz for the T1.

Fortunately both use standard PC133 DIMMs, which is a departure from the T1 Model 105.

Incidentally, for backwards compatibility the T1 Model 105 has a UltraSPARC IIi, which can run Solaris 7/8 in 32-bit mode.

Don't discount the CDROM; there's no provision on the X1 for interfacing one unless you open the box for a temporary connect.

The T1 has up to 2 front-accessible, ultra SCSI drives. The X1 drives are not front-accessible, and slower (as was pointed out by drathbone).

Finally, although the X1 is in the Netra line of servers, it is not carrier grade as the others. The T1 Model 105 is NEBS compliant; compliance is pending on the T1 AC200, which also passes GR-63-CORE requirements for earthquake risk zone 4 (vs. risk zone 4 for the 105). Hey, if you need it, you need it. :)

Regards,
Alan
Itinerant Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back