Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirvam

Programmer
Nov 23, 1999
US
Hello I just bought a used sun at a surplus auction. I took it home and found that is looked as if it was brand new. This is the<br>only piece of Sun hardware I have. When I turn it on it boots fine however a login screen comes up with &quot;Bell & Howell 3000&quot; and then login and Password. It doesn't have a disk drive or cdrom and I don't know its ip address. I do know the network card's MAC address, however I don't know how to turn a MAC address into an ip address. The computer is a Sun Sparc Station 4 running Some verion of Solaris (I think 2.4) <br><br>Is there anyway to get the password? or is there some default user name and password? <p> Erik<br><a href=mailto:cirvam@netzero.net>cirvam@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Looking to learn more about Linux, Apache, PHP and others.

Did you get any OS media with the server?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, there's a way you can reset the root password.&nbsp;&nbsp;If not, think about heading over to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and ordering Solaris 8.&nbsp;&nbsp;Free for personal use, you just pay the cost for the media and shipping. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

I only got what on the hardrive :) So I guess I will look into buying Solaris 8. Do you know of anyway to figure out the ip address from the MAC addres? Other then that I guess I will just have to get Solaris 8.<br><br>Thanks, <p> Erik<br><a href=mailto:cirvam@netzero.net>cirvam@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Looking to learn more about Linux, Apache, PHP and others.

There is no way to determine the IP address of the machine by just using the MAC address.&nbsp;&nbsp;They are two completely separate entities, one being coded into the NIC (MAC) and the other being statically configured (IP).<br><br>I'm with &quot;AndyBo&quot; in that you should just reinstall the media from scratch.&nbsp;&nbsp;Solaris 8 is free for private use.

I just bought Solaris 8 however I think that $80 (shipping and tax) is a little much for <b>free</b> software, but other then that I will just have to wait until it gets here. :) oh well, at least the login screen looks pretty. :)<br> <p> Erik<br><a href=mailto:cirvam@netzero.net>cirvam@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Looking to learn more about Linux, Apache, PHP and others.

If you get the full bundle of media and manuals, then $80 is going to start looking like very good value for money :)&nbsp;&nbsp;If nothing else, you are gong to learn a lot about your system by doing the install.&nbsp;&nbsp;Solaris is one of the easier mainstream Unices I've had experience of installing, so you shouldn't have too many problems. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= > </a><br>--<br>
0 1 - Just my two bits

from what you've said it sounds like you bought a sparc box. if so you'll need the sparc version of solaris 8. <br><br>patn <p>Patrick Novak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back