Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun Passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cirvam

Programmer
Nov 23, 1999
US
Hello I just bought a used sun at a surplus auction. I took it home and found that is looked as if it had been used maybe once. This is the only piece of Sun hardware I have. When I turn it on it boots fine however a login screen comes up with &quot;Bell & Howell 3000&quot; and then login and Password. It doesn't have a disk drive or cdrom and I don't know its ip address. I do know the network card's MAC address, however I don't know how to turn a MAC address into an ip address. The computer is a Sun Sparc Station 4 running Some verion os Solaris (I think 2.4) <br><br>Is there anyway to get the password? <p> Erik<br><a href=mailto:cirvam@netzero.net>cirvam@netzero.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Looking to learn more about Linux, Apache, PHP and others.

I don't think there is a way to get the password with the equipment you have today.<br><br>However, here are some suggestions:<br>- Borrow a cdrom and use this to boot from and erase root password from disk (located in /etc/shadow)<br>- Bring the box to a network with other Sun machines and use jumpstart to reinstall it over the network<br>- Take out the disk and connect it to another machine to erase the root password<br>- Or you'll just have to guess the right password...<br><br>Good luck!<br>

Hi Cirvam,

The current OS on that system is setup for the previous owner, therfore all there passwords, both root and user, are still in operation.

In order to make any use of this syetm you will need to reload the OS, so try and borrow an external SCSI CD-ROM and a Solaris media pack (2.6 will run fine) and off you go.

In case you want to boot into single user, simply break in (using STOP-A on Sun keyboard) after POST (or even during boot-up) and from the 'OK' prompt type 'boot -s'. This will bring you up in single-user or 'maintenance' mode, but you will still need the root password to get in.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Darren Rathbone
dmrathbone@yahoo.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back