Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sun OS version, Perl Version, DBI

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwjr

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2002
US
We have two Sun boxes. One Solaris 5.5.1, the other is Solaris 9. The 5.5.1 appears to have Perl 4 and the v9 box appears to have Perl 5. I need to have a Perl script that accesses the Sybase DBD (and currently runs fine on the v9/Perl 5 box) also run on the 5.5.1/Perl 4 box. Does the Perl 4 have the DBI by default? Can it be installed? The script won't run as is, and generates errors. I'm definitely a newbie to Unix/Solaris, and a newbie/novice with Perl.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

there is perl5 available on even for Sol 2.5(.1); install this package, change path in script to use perl5 instead of perl4 and everythings fine... :)

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Does that install include the DBI and the Sybase DBD by default?

I don't know; pl. refere to the readme...

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Can anyone else give me a little more info? I'm very new to this. One of the Perl faq's on tek-tips says that an ANSI compiler is necessary to compile the DBI, that the one with Solaris won't work. Can anyone confirm? I also know nothing about how to compile anything in Unix. I'm a C systems programmer from way back, but am new to Unix (Solaris) and to Perl. I'm kinda under the gun to get this script working on this box, but I'm starting from scratch, so any assistance would greatly be appreciated.

I did find out that Perl 5 is on the box in the /usr/local/perl5/bin directory. When I execute a perl -v command, I get "This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for sun4-solaris". Will this version work with the current DBI/DBD on CPAN?

You will have to install Perl modules to get the DBI to work.
This should be similar to what we use ( except we use oracle where you are using sybase )
Are you trying to install on the client or on the server where the database is located?

Server. I need to run the script on the Unix box that contains the Sybase database.

As I said before we do a similar thing with oracle so hopfully sybase works the same.
You will need the following Perl modules ( download from )
Storable
Net-Daemon
PIRPC
DBI
DBD - Sybase
You will need to run the folowing on each module in turn.
perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
and using sudo (or as superuser ) make install

Thanks mikeclark.

I assume it won't hurt anything to make these a second time if they already exist, correct?

Also, according to the Perl Forum Faq faq219-1711,

"If you're not running ActivePerl you will need to download the DBI and the DBD you need from - you'll need an ANSI C compiler to build these modules, so the bundled compiler that comes with HPUX and Solaris won't do."

Where do I get the ANSI C compiler for my Solaris 2.5.1?

mkinney,

Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure if GNU c compiler was ANSI or not. The Perl faq says an ANSI c compiler is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back