Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sumproduct formula help needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

knifey

Technical User
Nov 14, 2006
GB
Hi,
Formula trouble! Can anyone advise on how to change the following formula to count ONLY ONCE if both columns Q and U are <> ""?

=SUMPRODUCT((master!C3:C2002="Rx")*(master!R3:R2002="NA")*(master!A3:A2002<>"5")*(master!Q3:Q2002<>"")*(master!W3:W2002="")*(master!AQ3:AQ2002="1"))+SUMPRODUCT((master!C3:C2002="Rx")*(master!R3:R2002<>"NA")*(master!A3:A2002<>"5")*(master!AQ3:AQ2002="1")*(master!W3:W2002="")*(((master!Q3:Q2002<>"")+(master!U3:U2002<>""))>=1))

The first part is working correctly:
SUMPRODUCT((master!C3:C2002="Rx")*(master!R3:R2002="NA")*(master!A3:A2002<>"5")*(master!Q3:Q2002<>"")*(master!W3:W2002="")*(master!AQ3:AQ2002="1"))

But the second part is giving the wrong values:
+SUMPRODUCT((master!C3:C2002="Rx")*(master!R3:R2002<>"NA")*(master!A3:A2002<>"5")*(master!AQ3:AQ2002="1")*(master!W3:W2002="")*(((master!Q3:Q2002<>"")+(master!U3:U2002<>""))>=1))

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
K

hi,

I must be missing something.

No matter if I have a value in Q or U or both, I get the same result. Isn't that what you want?

What are the values you have in the row that gives you the "wrong" result?

[highlight]Please COPY the row of values AS IS and PASTE into your reply. That way I can simply copy your ROW and PASTE into my sheet in one operation.[/highlight]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

No, what I need is for it to count only if column Q AND U are not blank.
Column Q and U contain dates, so I'm looking for a count of rows where both dates are <> "" (on top of my other criteria).

Thanks,
K

Then that's simply
[tt]
*(master!Q3:Q2002<>"")*(master!U3:U2002<>"")
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

Then the answer for those two in the second function are...
[tt]
="")*(master!Q3:Q2002<>"")*(master!U3:U2002<>""))
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]

In a SUMPRODUCT formula, you multiply criteria to get the equivalent of an AND on a row by row basis.
=SUMPRODUCT((master!C3:C2002="Rx")*(master!R3:R2002="NA")) counts the rows where both criteria are satisfied

Getting an OR is a little trickier. You need to add the criteria, then test whether the sum is 1 or more on a row by row basis.
=SUMPRODUCT(((master!C3:C2002="Rx") + (master!R3:R2002="NA"))>=1)*1) counts the rows where either criteria is satisfied

When you restated your question as "what I need is for it to count only if column Q AND U are not blank" then you need to change from an OR combination to an AND. That's why SkipVought's most recent suggestions ought to be working for you.

Thank you both for the excellent explanation.

I did originally try (master!Q3:Q2002<>"")*(master!U3:U2002<>"") but this was giving an incorrect result due to column AQ having the dreaded #VALUE errors on a few rows.

Cheers,
K

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back