Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing textbox - different tack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
Okay,

assuming no one can help with the other thread, I have copied the DB and am trying a different tack. Added to the Job_ID/Product_ID link table I have added the column Job_Price.

This column would hold the price of that prduct for a specific Job_ID.

The problem I have now is how do I update it? I want to do it automatically.

If you create a new Job and select a product in the subform, the DB should automatically multiply the unit price by the area/perimeter and place this value in the Job_Price field. That way I can use DSum in order to sum these values, and solve my problem.

Can anyone help? Or am I making it overly complicated?

Will

Thanks for the link, but I have already added calculated fields to my form. In this thread I am now looking for a way to take that calculated value and apply it to a field in a table so I can sum up each of the values for a total for the order.

As for Google, have you seen IE 8 with 30 tabs? I have been working on this solely since yesterday morning, probably, excluding breaks, a total of 18 hours straight... :(

I wish it were that easy.

Will

Will,

Maybe you need to step back, and tell us from the top, in basic info (with example), what it is you're trying to do. It SOUNDS like it should be simple.

For instance, you're trying to update a table, so why can't you use an Update Query to do that?

Anyway, post back with an example of where your data is originally (table and form as applicable), and where you want it to be (table and/or form as applicable).

Hi,

And thanks. In short there is an A-Level project (an old one, not current) that I am working on as a project for my Post Graduate Teacher Trainig qualification. Everyone on the course is having trouble with this DB task, but I took it upon myself to work it out (which is what I love to do anyway) and show the others what I find out.

The A-Level paper is here:

The DB is here:

The link table between Products and Jobs has a field Job_Price, which I want to update from the Job form (or rather Job Subform) for each product in that job, because for each job the calculated Job_Price will be different for each product.

I can then use that column to populate my form list and DSum at th bottom of the list. At least that's the plan.

I am also looking at trying to use queries to calculate the prices on the fly and sum the results without needing the extra column.

But if that doesn't work I have this. Ad if this doesn't work I have the other... if they both don't work, well... ARGH!

Thanks for help,

Will

Okay, I managed to get a good answer to my other thread, wthout having to update a table.

So thanks, but don't worry about this one.

I appreciate you guys looking though.

Will

And thanks for the cross-reference. Most of the time, people forget to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back