Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing Question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewComer

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
US
Our database has a SQL backend and a Visual Basic Frontend for data entry. I often create reports via Microsoft Project. My question, in a query I am summing two integer fields, if their are no manhours for one of the fields it is left null. However, when I try to sum them it will not sum unless I add zeros in the null field. I really wanted to leave them blank if possible because it it easier to see if something is inadverately forgotten (admittedly not the best reason). Is there some syntax I can use for the null field when calculating or should I just make it default to zero?

Thanks for you help.

Try these:

SELECT IIf(IsNull([ManHours1]) And IsNull([ManHours2]),0,IIf(IsNull([ManHours1]) And Not IsNull([ManHours2]),0+[ManHours2],IIf(Not IsNull([ManHours1]) And IsNull([ManHours2]),[ManHours1]+0,[ManHours1]+[ManHours2]))) AS TotalManhours
FROM myTable;

SELECT Sum(IIf(IsNull([ManHours1]) And IsNull([ManHours2]),0,IIf(IsNull([ManHours1]) And Not IsNull([ManHours2]),0+[ManHours2],IIf(Not IsNull([ManHours1]) And IsNull([ManHours2]),[ManHours1]+0,[ManHours1]+[ManHours2])))) AS TotalManhours
FROM myTable;

Replace MyTable with you Table name.
Replace ManHours1 and ManHours2 with your Field names

Thank you Bill, will try it first thing Monday morning when i get to work and let you know how it goes...thanks again.

Just another quick question, would the Nz function work in this situation? Thanks

Hi NewComer,
You've solved it yourself, I'm definitely slipping!!!

SELECT NZ([ManHours1])+NZ([ManHours2]) AS TotalManhours
FROM myTable;

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me. I really love this site !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back