Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing fields depending on other field values

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishman

Programmer
Jun 29, 2003
GB
Hi, First post here - please be gentle!

I've got some VBA code that outputs some results as follows into an Excel sheet:

Name Class Grade Grade total
John Biology 80
John Biology 76
John Maths 65
John Maths 54
Charles Biology 23
Charles Maths 45
etc etc

What I want to do is write some code that will calculate the grade totals and output them to the grade total column. If we take John and Biology as an example, I need the logic to be able to put "80" in the grade total for the first "John, Biology" row, and "156" in the second occurrence of the "John, Biology" row - that is, 80 + 76.

If anyone can give me a pointer that would be great!
Cheers

Hi bishman,

Assuming your data is in columns A to C,

In D1 put
Code:
=A1&B1
In E1 put
Code:
=SUMIF(D$1:D1,D1,C$1:C1)

.. and copy dow as far as your data goes. You can then hide column D if it gets in your way.

Enjoy,
Tony

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, each time the VBA is run, there will be a differing number of rows in the excel sheet. I would really like to be able to automate this process from VBA. Is it possible?

Thanks again

Hi again Tony,

Managed to sort this now. I have used your SUMIF suggestion, and am now dynamically contructing the SUMIF string within a loop in my VBA code, and pasting this string straight into the necessary cells in the "results" sheet.

Thanks again,
bishman

Hi bishman,

You can add these formulae for as far as your data goes, in VBA, by using:

Code:
Range([D1], [C65536].End(xlUp).Offset(0, 1)).FormulaR1C1 = "=RC[-3]&RC[-2]"
Range([E1], [C65536].End(xlUp).Offset(0, 2)).FormulaR1C1 = "=SUMIF(R1C[-1]:RC[-1],RC[-1],R1C[-2]:RC[-2])"

Enjoy,
Tony

Hi Bishman,
Tony is bang on as usual,but unless it is absolutely required to use code, have a look at DBase formulas such as sumproduct, I was pointed in that direction on an earlier thread and they work a treat....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back