Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Summing Every 2nd Column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayton

Technical User
Oct 17, 2001
NZ
Hi Everyone, I have a situation where we have a 12 month budget. For each month we have a column for a unit budget and a column for a dollar budget. We repeat this for 12 months, the result is a table with table months of data.

I need a way to sum every second column (Dollars)in the following way. If we are 4 months into the budget it must sum 4 months worth of dollars, if we are 6 months into the budget then six months worth of dollars, etc. I need this to calualte automatically as we roll from one month to the next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hayton McGregor

You could use a bunch of nested If, THEN, ELSEs.

eg
=IF(W12>0,SUM(A12,C12,E12,G12,I12,K12,M12,O12,Q12,S12,U12,W12),
IF(U12>0,SUM(A12,C12,E12,G12,I12,K12,M12,O12,Q12,S12,U12),
If(s12>0,...............))) etc etc

Hi Steve, I have thought of this solution but have been told that you can only nest 7 times. Need to test this. I think that the answer would be to do VBA function. I need to nest to 12 levels.

Hayton McGregor

Here's a starting point for you, assuming your units are in columns A C E G etc, and your dollar amounts are in columns B D F H J etc, then this formula will do it ...

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(OFFSET(A4,0,0,1,months*2)*MOD(COLUMN(OFFSET(A4,0,1,1,months*2)),2))

This is performing the summing on row 4, and refers to a named cell containing the number of months to perform the summing for ( name of "months" ).

Cheers, Glenn.

My grandfather was ill, and my grandmother smeared goose-grease on his back. He went downhill very quickly after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back