Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

summarizing field

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABetha

Programmer
Jul 14, 2010
US
I am attempting to summarize a field {Parts.ReportId} I have summarized another field {Parts.Partnumber} works fine.
But when I attempt to summarize the {Parts.ReportId} field I get the same value as the {Parts.Number} field.

This is what I am looking for

GH- Country Australia
GH-CustNo AIA006 100 reports 102 part(s)replaced
GH-model Free 5 reports 9 part (s)replaced
GH- partnumber BE111 Beds 3
PW000 Adapter 2

This is what I get
GH- Country Australia
GH-CustNo AIA006 102 reports 102 part(s)replaced
GH-model Free 9 reports 9 part (s)replaced
GH- partnumber BE111 Beds 3
PW000 Adapter 2

What kind of summary did you use? Can the Reports ID field be null? How does it display? You probably should be inserting a distinct count.

-LB

I am using a count of the reportid field. When I do a distinct count the number is not what I am expecting. When I do a count of the reportId field I get the same count as the PartNumber count field.

Can the Report ID field be null? When you insert a count you are getting a count of all non-null records. If there are no null fields, then the count will be the same for all fields. A distinct count takes into account the value of the field and counts a value only once, but does not count nulls.

I cannot know what you are expecting to see. If you think the count is inflated, it suggests you have duplicating records. I think you should place your fields in the detail section and observe how the records display. You can use running totals to evaluate on change of some field in order to eliminate duplication.

For more help, you should provide sample records that demonstrate how duplication is occurring.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back