Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum values in each row

Status
Not open for further replies.

megmoo75

Programmer
Jun 14, 2003
US
Hello - I think this is probably quite easy, but I just can't seem to get it to work. I need to sum the values of four items in each row as shown below:

Task Total Person1 Person2 Person3 Person4
task1 5 4 1
task2 10 3 4 3

What I can't get is the Total column, which should be the sum of Person1 - Person 4. I have two problems right now:
1. It's only summing those rows where every person has time attributed that that task
2. It's doing a running total rather than just the sum for that row.

The control source of my Total textbox for the Total column is currently: [Person1] + [Person2] + [Person3] + [Person4].

Can anyone tell me how I can get it to sum even when not all people have time for a task and how to stop it from continuing to sum using the line above?

Thanks in advance.

OK, I figured it out and thought I'd post the answer in case others search for an answer to this problem. There may be a much easier way, but this is what I did to fix it.

I created an invisible text box called txtZero on my report and set the value of it to 0 (zero).

Then, the control source of my text box that should total the time spent per task for each person uses this calculation:
=IIf(IsNumeric([Person1]),[Person1],[txtZero])+
IIf(IsNumeric([Person2]),[Person2],[txtZero])+
IIf(IsNumeric([Person3]),[Person3],[txtZero])+
IIf(IsNumeric([Person4]),[Person4],[txtZero])

That forces it to use a zero when a person worked no hours so it can sum the row even when some people did no work on that task.

I also set the RunningSum property to "No", which I'd inadvertently set to "Over All" which was causing it to add to the total for the task above it.

What you have with this as your total field is on the right track but you will need to account for Null vaules-

Add the following function to a Module.

Public Function NullToZero( TheValue as Variant)

'This function converts Null to Zero

'It also converts Non Existing Data to Zero

On Error Goto NullToZero_Err

If ISNull(TheValue) then

NullToZero = 0

Else

NullToZero = TheValue

End if

Exit Function

NullToZero_Err:

'This function would only generate an error

'if the data in TheValue doesn't exist at all.

NullToZero = 0

Exit Function

End Function

Then your Total function will look like this -

Total: NullToZero([Person1]) + NullToZero([Person2]) + NullToZero([Person3]) + NullToZero([Person4])

SteveR77,
Is there a reason why you don't use the built-in Nz() function?
=Nz([Person1],0)+Nz([Person2],0)+...

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Duane,

The Nz function does not exist in all the version of Access that are out there. I'd rather include what I know will work than assume the solution I have given will work.

But you are correct I should have included the option of the Nz function too.

Steve

I think Nz() has been around since at least Access 97. I hope too many people aren't developing in earlier version. Of course, 2.0 was a good version.

The question that hasn't been asked is why values are being summed across fields rather than across records. This sometimes suggests un-normalized table structures.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back