Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum The Next Three Records in a Crystal Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREWeire

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
GB
Hi.

I am using Crystal Reports 8.0 and have created a report that pulls data from a Microsoft Access Table. The data is pulled into the reports sorted by the date.

Job Description Factor Date
--------------------------------------------
J001 Test 1 12/06/05
J002 Test 2 13/06/05
J003 Test 5 14/06/05
J004 Test 2 15/06/05
J005 Test 1 16/06/05
J006 Test 3 17/06/05
J007 Test 1 18/06/05
J008 Test 4 19/06/05

I want to include a field that SUMS the <Factor> value for the current record plus the next 3 records. The result would be as follows. The same result would be achieved very easily in Excel!!!!!

Job Description Factor Date
--------------------------------------------
J001 Test 1 12/06/05 10
J002 Test 2 13/06/05 10
J003 Test 5 14/06/05 11
J004 Test 2 15/06/05 07
J005 Test 1 16/06/05 09
J006 Test 3 17/06/05
J007 Test 1 18/06/05
J008 Test 4 19/06/05

I have tried to use a running total (based on record number) but no joy with that one since I cannot come up with a suitable "Reset Formulae". Somehow don't think that one would work.

Beginning to think that I will have to do some proper coding and use loops, etc. Would appreciate any help with this.

Thanks

You can't do this in CR because it can't see that far ahead.

You can get the sum of the latest 4 records so if you can put up with presenting the list in reverse order you can get the figures you want.

Thanks.... How would I get the sum of the latest four records?

This is bdreed35's solution from another thread, which should work if you sort the date in descending order:

numberVar array Accum;
numberVar x;
numberVar y := 0;

if OnFirstRecord then
ReDim Accum [1]
else
ReDim Preserve Accum [UBound(Accum)+1];

Accum [UBound(Accum)] := {table.factor};

If UBound(Accum) < 5 then
y := Sum(Accum)
Else
(
for x := (UBound(Accum)-3) to (UBound(Accum)) do (
y := y + Accum [x];
);
y;
)

-LB

You might be able to group by a date-range, an extra group within your current group. At least you could in Crytal 10: I've used 8.5 but never 8.0.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Hello again.

I am still struggling with this problem. Not exactly sure whether grouping by the date range would help since there is a unique date against each record.

What I am trying now is this. I am creating an array function. It doesn't work yet and I will try and explain where I think I am having trouble. I have never created or worked with an array function before.

-----------------------------------------
WhilePrintingRecords;

NumberVar Array records;
Redim records[1000];

NumberVar Array Factors :={schedule_table.Factors};
Redim speeds [1000];

Numbervar recordnum;

For recordnum := {schedule_table.ID} to ({schedule_table.ID}+3) Do
(records[recordnum] := Factors[recordnum]);

Sum(records)

-----------------------------------------

My logic of this is as follows. I created an array variable called records that will hold up to 1000 entries.

The formula then checks the actual record number (field:= ID) and only populates the array funtion for the matching records (from ID up to ID+7). I then SUM the array funtion.

My logic is that this would give me the respective Factors related to each of the rows I am interested in. My problem is that I cannot get the Factors array to reference the values held in the schedule_table.Factors field.

I am confused even writing this !!!

If this is impossible please let me know. I would like to learn how to use array functions properly since I suspsect I could use them in a lot of other reports. Thanks to all who have answered. Really appreciate it.

Cheers

Please explain why you did not use the formula I suggested, as it tests out here.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back