Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum records entered in CY where tbl field = 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

KerryL

Technical User
May 7, 2001
US

I'm having trouble with a field on a report. The field needs to show a sum of the records that have been entered in the calendar year, and also have a value of "6" in one of the table fields.

I wasn't sure how to make the report object know what year it is, so I thought of placing an invisible text box on the form, format it as yyyy and use =Date() as the control source. If that's not a good way to do it, please advise.

Report = rptActivitySummary
Table = tblWARNData (control source for report)
Form = frmReportCriteria (users enter date range, etc)
YYYY object = txtYear on frmReportCriteria
Tbl Field 1 = EntryDate (date record entered)
Tbl Field 2 = IncidType

This is my current SQL, but it's not working.

If(Year([EntryDate])=[Forms]![frmRptCriteria]![txtYear]) Then Sum(Abs([IncidType])="6")

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Sum(IIf(Year([EntryDate])=Year(Date()) AND [IncidType]='6',1,0))

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Thanks PHV.
Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error with your code as I got with mine:

Extra ) in query expression

...even though there doesnt seem to be an extra one.

Could you please post the code raising the error explaining us where it is located.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Here's the code I'm using in the Control Source of the report field:

Code:
=Sum(IIf(Year([EntryDate])=Year(Date()) And [IncidType]='6',1,0))

This is the error I'm getting now:

"The expression is typed incorrectly, or is too complext to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements. Try simplifying the expression by assigning parts of the expression to variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back