Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum of dates in a large query

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerhunter

Technical User
Oct 30, 2001
US
All,
Here's the situation. I have a query with 35 columns containing dates. I need run the query and then somehow find to the total number of dates up until a certain point. For example, each date is a visit, so I need to total the number of visits that have occurred before, say, 12/31/01. I am thinking that the easiest way to do this would be to export the query to excel, highlight the range, and then count everything <= 12/31/01. But it would be nice to keep it Access as a query that a novice user could run. Anyone how of a function? Thanks for the help.

PS. I know what your thinking, why 35 columns of visits? The &quot;visits&quot; table had to be de-normalized to accommodate visit projections. Long story, but this is how the table stands. Thanks for the help.

&quot; ... The &quot;visits&quot; table had to be de-normalized to accommodate visit projections ... &quot;

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And NOW, you pay the price.

IF I were invloved, I would (after wringing a neck or two), generate a crosstab (or pivot) query and then just do a count on the columns, with the criteria.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

you can use a query with a massive where \or statement or you could attempt a huge Union query but you can probably do this by navigatiging a recordset

need something like below: (typed on the fly so will not work without serious editing) just to give you idea

dim rst as recordset
dim x as integer
dim cnt as integer
set rst = me.recordsetclone 'open recordset
rst.movefirst
do until rst.eof
for x = 0 to 35 'set counter to go thru each date field
if rst.fields.field(x) <= #12/31/01# then cnt = cnt + 1
next x
rst.movenext
loop
rst.close
set rst = nothing
debug.print &quot;total matches &quot; & cnt

will try, thanks for both the suggestions, even the harsh response above. I didn't create this table, but the guy above me had some reasons for doing so. He's as much against denormalizing tables as the next person. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back