Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum groups without grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

catbert

Technical User
May 1, 2003
GB
Hi,
Can anyone help with this:

I have a report looking at hours worked to calcuate pay (so quite important to get right). Rates are paid at one level for the first 37 hours, and a different rate thereafter.

I have a report which calculates per person these figures. However I then need to sum these hours grouped by location, and workers can move between different locations through the week - so the cumulative totals have to be calculated based on grouping by worker and ordered by date. For a simplistic example see below:
Date[tab]Worker[tab]Location[tab]Hours[tab]Cum[tab]>37[tab]>37
Mon[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]1[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 8[tab] 8[tab] 0
Tue[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]2[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 16[tab] 8[tab] 0
Wed[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]2[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 24[tab] 8[tab] 0
Thu[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]2[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 32[tab] 8[tab] 0
Fri[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]2[tab][tab][tab][tab]5[tab] 37[tab] 5[tab] 0
Sat[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]1[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 4[tab] 0[tab] 8
Sun[tab][tab]1[tab] [tab]1[tab][tab][tab][tab]8[tab] 6[tab] 0[tab] 8

As you can see if I grouped location, all the hours for locaiton would be counted as being below the 37 hour threshold. When in fact 8 hours are below and 16 are above.

I can calulate all these figures, both cumulative for the worker, and seperately for each day dividing hours into < and > 37. But how do I then add these back up by location. I have hundreds of workers and location so I can't use explicit "sum if id = 1".

At the moment I export to excel, sort by worker then location and add subtotals - works perfectly but I would like a complete solution in crystal if possible. Any suggestions Gratefullyreceived.
Thanks in advance, CB

Looks like a Crosstab - you find Crosstab on the Insert menu, and it guides you through the details

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 10 & 11.5 with Windows XP [yinyang]

HI, thanks for the quick response,

i tried a cross tab, but none of the calculated fields are avaiable to add to the crosstab. I am a little hazy on where to go next. Do I have to create a variable for each field to make them avaliable - not entirely sure how to go about it.
Each of the calulations I have is already based on the cumulative figure which is a variable:

whileprintingrecords;
numbervar CumulHoursTot :=
CumulHoursTot + {@ShiftHours}

Cheers
CB

I think a crosstab will not be able to use values that are themselves summaries. You can however get ground that, doing something like
Code:
if {your.code} = "T"
then 1
else 0
You add this at detail-line level. You can then use it for summaries, and probably also crosstabs.

The use of Crystal's automated totals is outlined at FAQ767-6524. This includes running totals, which are another method but a lot more work.

PS. It helps to give your Crystal version - 8, 8.5, 9, 10, 11 or whatever. Methods sometimes change between versions, and higher versions have extra options.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 10 & 11.5 with Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back