Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sum based on differences 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2000
US
I need to total the differences between two columns into Over/Under totals. I need to know how far over Column A is than B, when value in column A is > B, and vice versa. I'm not talking about the net difference, but more of an IF logic.

Example:

ColumnA ColumnB
10 5
10 8
4 6

In Row 1, the difference is 5
In Row 2, the difference is 8
In Row 3, the difference is 2 (or -2, depending on perspective)

Because the first 2 have column A values larger than B, I want to put them together in one cell and show 13. I need another total for differences where B>A, so in this case a cell showing 2.

I think I can start with a column C with a formula "=Ax-Bx"
that would give me

Column C

Then how can I sum the positives and sum the negatives )and multiply by -1 to reverse the sign) separately?

Or is there a simpler way to do this?

Monkeylizard
Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error debugging can save minutes of reading manuals.

erm...I noticed the obvious mathematical error.I know 10-8 is not 8. oops. But the questions still remain. Thanks.

Monkeylizard
Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error debugging can save minutes of reading manuals.

Hi,

Have you tried a formula? 'Sometimes just a few hours of trial and error' is good for the soul.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

How about, in cell c4...
=SUMIF(C1:C3,">0")

Randy

using named ranges...
[tt]
ColumnA ColumnB
10 5
10 8
4 6

=SUMPRODUCT((ColumnA-ColumnB)*((ColumnA-ColumnB)>0))
=SUMPRODUCT((ColumnA-ColumnB)*((ColumnA-ColumnB)<0))
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Two more ideas:
Then how can I sum the positives and sum the negatives )and multiply by -1 to reverse the sign) separately?

In column C use the formula =Abs(A1-B1) this ignores the sign of the differences. Not sure if that is what you want.

OR

Use column C for the overs and column D for the unders. Formulae =if(A1>B1,A1-B1,0)

Gavin

I found this to sum absolute values:

=SUM(ABS(A1:A10))

Don't press Enter; instead press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, which signifies this is an array formula. If the formula is entered correctly, you'll see braces around the formula in the Formula bar:

do the difference calcs and summing with ABS at the same time ( assuming that you want this done in one step ):
Code:
=SUM(ABS(A1:A3-B1:B3))

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

P.S. my calculation is an array formula, so press Ctrl+Shift+Enter instead of Enter ( this will put curly brackets around the formula when entered ).

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

I had used Gavona's second idea, putting the overs in C and the unders in D. That actually works just fine.

SkipVought's SUMPRODUCT formulas give me the same result and much more concisely without the need for columns C and D.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Monkeylizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back