Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suitable POS for Night/Dance Club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiEmrich

Technical User
May 23, 2003
US
Who can recommend a POS system for a Night/Dance Club? 95% beverages, 5% food. Could you include references for your recommendation?

Thank you
Michael

Hi Michael!

That food/bev split sounds like some fun! I've worked in a few myself.

as far as the choice is concerned, many operators would tell you to seek out items like a Samsung ER-650 due to their low cost. however, programming is a pain and they don't hold up real well and visually, they look terrible.
if you were wondering about touch screen systems, I work for Comtrex Systems. We manufacture POS systems that allow you to take gift cards/VIP cards and run discounts and promotions that way, automated inventory control, etc...
it really depends what you would like to ask your POS what it can do.
hope this helped!
MikeMoore

Hi Mike:

Thank you for the tip. Yes we are looking for a touchscreen system. Is Comtrex on the web and is there a rep on Florida's west coast?

Thank you

Michael

I work with Aloha software in KY, and we are using in some high speed bars just fine. We are now intergrating video systems to the POS system to help keep a handle on them bartenders. Also it can interface with some of the beverage control systems. It has a web site. I can help you with any questions about Aloha if needed.

We are a software vendor for various retails outlets. I would recommend Touchscreen. Epson SR 600 has proven to be reliable,looks good is splash and drop tested. Or Javelin ae a newer company, same standard in terms of built, but generally better in terms of spec and most importantly cost, Javelin are considerably cheaper.

What Software are you looking for or do you have something in mind already??

I strongly suggest you check out System3 POS, its affordable and easy to use. Its features are advanced and made for the end user not the tech.

Vistit or system3pos.com

Look forward to your comments

Steve

Hereagain, Javelin failed very bad with the release of its viper model. POS dealers aren't buying from them like they use too, and from what I understand the CA office is closing and they are loosing ground quickly. At least that is what is on some of the POS forums outside tek-tips.

MiEmrich, When going into this your bartenders are going to claim it slows them down to much and fight you on it. All the touchscreen softwares add a couple of steps to ringing sales and maintaing tabs, which is for the soul purpose of inventory tracking and makes it harder to skim money. When shopping for software make sure you demo them all and do not take a sales reps word. Make him show you what he is promising. Because I am assuming you want a new system for the control over your product and employees.
I will be happy to answer any questions you may have on setting up the software that you choose.

a couple a friends of mine just installed very modest pos systems (aloha) in their restaurants and the price tag was $17k and $24k. it is amazing to me that these companies are still finding clients given wireless pc based technology and the incredibly inexpensive pc systems available through such outlets as dell.

offers a quick summary of just how easy a "do-it-yourself" route can be and how dramatic the price difference can be when compared to the well known restaurant pos vendors.

my cafe is a high volume "mom & pop" operation (just over 1.5 a year in sales) and i just can't justify a $20k+ price tag for a pos system.

Hmmmm not sure about the Epson SR 600 Terminals, they are a bit slow. The TTM800 Cross Bows are a far greater machine. Specs at 1.2Ghz rather than 566mhz 256 MB ram and die cast alloy, 20gb HDD as opposed to 8GB Should be paying USD $1200.00. For the software excellent for Bars/Clubs. Canadian based makes the US dollar strong and the the program affordable.

Steve

Pirates, I looked at the foodman site. It looks simple enough. But the reason the larger restaurants and chains use systems like Aloha is for unique bells and whistles the softwares offer. The foodman site made no mention of remote printing, remote video, gift cards, and most important inventory control or reporting. I am sure it can be done, but for most, they would have to add an IT person to their payroll bringing up the cost of an inferior software to get it on line. Also they use it for the service that is provided. We provide a year out of the gate and after that they can opt to purchase yearly support contracts. And alot of them do that.
Back to what strarted the thread, this is for a bar and speed and liqour control are what is important to the owner who isnt on site and I suggest Aloha for that. Positouch might keep up, squirell and micros from what I have heard from bartenders that get around are slow and propmt them through to many screens. System 3 I have not clue on that one.
Miemrich, I would get references from some of the other local bar owners who are using systems that you are interested in. Service is very very important no matter what software you choose. Also, you mentioned wanting references, email me direct and I can send you some aloha ones who are also using the intergrated digital camera system that lets you go through video and see the bartenders doing no sales and voids.

bo.spruell@klinecr.com

Squirrel now has a new feature called OSI (one screen interface) which is extremely quick.

Even if you don't use OSI it is still very fast and it's fast because you can customize the screen layout, size of buttons, everything! So, 'slow and prompting through to many screens' is not true at all! this is all setup and it can be customized to meet your needs. The best feature I liked was called "magic settle". This feature would settled my cash checks automatically for me if I didn't "tab" them. It saved me alot of time.

I've bartended and served for over 10 years and used many systems. I have always enjoyed using Squirrel. It's quick and easy and logical.

I have a problem with version 1.2 of the Squirrel. The POS blocks with much frequency when I make some type of operation, like when I give payment. When I go to event log in Point of sale control appears this message. Error: table error in department 2 (Restaurant) table 2 (2).

I think the POS blocks because it loses the communication with squirrel server .
To initiate again the pos system, it's necessary to activate again the services.

When I go the POS/TERMINAL,Point of sale control. Where it appears the message (host is alive), it appears (sending failure).

icone of squirrel in the bar of tools close to the hours loses the net points.

The squirrel icone in the tools bar close to the hours loses the net points.

Somebody knows what's happen here? help me please.

Thanks

You should call the support center and ask them for an upgrade...

be careful.. micros lock down the database (no write access), and forces you to have a mandatory service contract. it also set you up to upgrade your hardware every couple years to get support.

so know what you are getting into...

If you buy a used systems, the re license fee is $2500 + the support control on the original hardware. They have an old IBM mainframe mentality

matt

So what mkatzer ... seems as you answered to the infogenesis post from me...

I used to work for a company m.. before (some yrs ago) .. did you try Infogenesis yet?

Of course there will be license fees for the software ...

no matter ... regards

Mirko

I live through three years of hell with what we call the roadkill (squirrel). Decided to dump it and buy PosiTouch!

The complaints against Squirrel all seem to be user-focused. Too many touches?? How about <<BUD>> <<BUD>> <<SETTLE>> and the drawer pops?? No screens...3 taps and I'm in and out. And magic-settle is a god-send! Squirrel sped up our bar service 300%!

Complaints about Squirrel seem to revolve around poor setup and maintenance by whomever (management) manages your system. The computer can only do so much before it has to rely on user input. But it is incredibly configurable.

I've also heard good things about System3, but mostly in fastfood and/or pizza environments...haven't heard much about it's usefulness in a bar.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back