Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestuons to lockdown user's desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyder1000

Technical User
Nov 2, 2004
US
I've got an XP Pro machine and i'd like to be able to create a user account that can't do things like view or write to the C:\ drive. Can anyone suggest a location or book that contains helpful tips in account adminstration?

I tried to do the same thing by using NTFS on C drive and not giving any pemisions to the specified user but there apear problems and i give you a simple example: winamp makes a bak of the playlist if you open a file and for that it need the right to write in that folder... I'm not saing there are not solutions because in the case mentioned above you can instal the program on another driver and so on ... so on ... but it won't be that simple to configure each and every folder or program. The main idea is that it isn't bound to account administration as it is file and folder permissions!

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.
Thanks for your attitude!

The following article has these two paragraphs included which may be of use to you.

To assign user rights on your local computer.

To set, view, change, or remove permissions on files and folders.

It assumes you are using the much more secure NTFS rather than FAT32.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

Set your surfing user up as a Limited User so that any damage to your system is limited to a minute amount as compared to what occurs if you surf as an Administrator.

Microsoft TechNet Security - Columns

If you are small network or home user there are not that many alterations that have to be made to Group Policy, most of what you need (and there are not many) will be found in -

Local Computer Policy/ Computer Configuration/ Windows Settings/ Security Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back